Fish sick after WC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IsabellaRows

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi there,
I just performed a 20% water change on my tank and noticed my Cory Catfish acting lethargic and resting on his side at the bottom of the tank. He moved and started swimming around briefly but is still acting this way. Also, some of my guppies are flicking themselves on my plants.

15 gallon tank
5 male guppies
1 spotted Cory Catfish
1 male Platy
Live Plants

Ammonia 0 ppm (was >0.25 ppm before WC)
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate > 5 ppm
High PH 7.4
Temperature ~78 F

I do add salt to the water, 1 1/2 tablespoon per 15 gallon, which I replenish after water changes.
Tank is cycled

Hi there,
I just performed a 20% water change on my tank and noticed my Cory Catfish acting lethargic and resting on his side at the bottom of the tank. He moved and started swimming around briefly but is still acting this way. Also, some of my guppies are flicking themselves on my plants.

15 gallon tank
5 male guppies
1 spotted Cory Catfish
1 male Platy
Live Plants

Ammonia 0 ppm (was >0.25 ppm before WC)
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate > 5 ppm
High PH 7.4
Temperature ~78 F

I do add salt to the water, 1 1/2 tablespoon per 15 gallon, which I replenish after water changes.
Tank is cycled

Did you dechlorinate the water? I noticed the same thing one time. I added a lot of extrs dechlorinator just in case the water company added more chlorine or something.

Also, are you adding salt for the entire tank volume each water change? Or adding salt to just the new water?

Yes, I dechlorinate my water and I only add the correct amount of salt for the new water I am putting in. He seems to be acting more normal now that some time has passed, but I'm still concerned.
As for my guppies flicking themselves on the plants, I noticed them doing this before, even with partial water changes and increased amount of salt. They have no ich or velvet or any irritated gills, so I'm not sure what could be the case.

I just caught that your ammonia was at .25 before the water change, that could explain the flicking before the water change. Its possible it could be ich, id just watch for spots over the next few days. Im thinking theres something in the tap water that the fish dont like.

What water conditioner do you use? Id add some more to the tank right now and see what happens

I use AquaSafe. I will add a bit more and see what happens. It could have something to do with my water being alkaline and my fish don't like it.
When I test my High PH it is currently at 7.4, but it usually reads 7.8
When I test just PH it reads 7.6 no matter what.

Possibly, when my fish did it, they were fine in a couple days. It was right after a pwc too, so I think our situations are similar

I use it to help maintain my fish's health, I just finished up a cycle not too long ago and I did it fish in, so naturally there were some high nitrites for a week. Salt helps the fish's gills during that stress time and helps the gill membranes.

Stop using salt and see if the flicking goes away. For sure, the cory is unlikely to enjoy salt in the water. Salt is an irritant to fresh water fish, and while there are therapeutic benefits at times, it's regular use isn't necessary and shouldn't even be recommended.

My fish's flicking after the water change is due to the adjustment in hardness. I live in an area with alkaline water. They are all fine now.

You should still stop adding salt unless you decide to remove the Cory (he should be in a group anyways). Cories are salt sensitive fish because they are scaleless and while short term exposure is okay long term will cause issues, and that may be the case - he's not tolerating the salt as well as he used to combined with the water change, although if the fish are used to the alkalinity it shouldn't be an problem. I have all those fish you mentioned with a pH of 7.6-.8 and none of them ever do that unless sick

Back
Top Bottom