Fish Tanks and Human Disease: FYI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I spent the evening cleaning my 75 gal tank last night. It was time to scrub down some of my dirtier plastic plants and scrub the sides of the tank down really well. By the time I was done I might as well have taken a bath in my own tank. So much for just wearing little gloves! :)

Stacie

Good article and fun followback from all. I used to avoid putting hands in water as much as possible because I was worried about my germs and oil (perspiration, etc) from harming the fish. Now it's the reverse!!!

this article scares the living day light out of me :(
I'll never be the same now when playing with my fishes.
Before reading this article, i literally want to jump in there and swim with the fishes.

this article scares the living day light out of me
I would not worry terribly about contracting this nasty bug. If you have a sore or cut that has not healed, keep that extremity out of the tank, but otherwise unless you have a compromised immune system you will most likely never get it. There are some good links above for gloves that you can wear while doing tank maintenance, and that is certainly the best insurance.

Heh, its not meant to scare anyone, or put a damper on such a great hobby.

It is however, a FYI. God forbid this DOES happen to anyone here, you now have enough info to be treated properly, as most doctors would not consider Mycobacterium a possibility.

yep, you are right Alli. It's a FYI and i'm glad you bring it to our attention just in case, god forbid, anyone contracts it will be armed with this knowledge. I sure don't want to look like that guy's hand.

*ignorant is bliss* hahaha

most doctors would not consider Mycobacterium a possibility.
That is so true! And as I have posted, if you get any weird infection on your hand that is not getting better on regular antibiotics and the doctors are scratching their heads, definitely mention it. There are antibiotics that can handle it, but not the typical ones.

I completely gave up on being grossed about my tank water the day after I read this. I've come to believe that not worrying about getting sick/injured is the best protection. I was soaked from head to toe again this weekend after tending to my tanks and happy as can be :wink:

you know those gloves that ppl wear when they reach up into the back end of cows? Ill but those would work. I mean if they can handle the great depths of cow then I'm sure a little water won't hurt em.

I'm glad you said that. My brother in law works with cows. Maybe I'll hit him up for some unused ones :lol:

snapcrackler said:
justmy2cents said:
Looks like I et me some gloves. :( No more letting my fav. female betta swim up into my hands and lay there. :(

There's probably more bad bacteria on the door handles at work than there is in your tank... I do not know this as fact, but I'd bet a cool twenty bucks on it. If you stuck your cut hand in a box full of freshly used door handles and rubbed it around, I'd be a lot more worried about infection from that.

I would not avoid doing something cool like holding a betta because of a concern about the bacteria. :(

When I was a kid I would swim in Mom and Dad's pond, through muck and algae that would make you gag. If there's not weird bacteria in there I dunno where it would be. :) But anyway I am still alive and somewhat coherent with only minimal brain damage.

I work in the sanitation field, Keeping sensitive areas with Immunodepressed residents as sanitary as possible.

And I am very much here to put confirmation to your notion, Doorhandles and knobs are some of the most germy places around.

You would not believe what I've seen people do. I mean, seriously.

I've seen people reach down into the front of their pants, inside their underwear and scratch themselves, or do something down there, then go handle the door to go through.

and thats not even the nastiest thing I've seen.

So yes, Doorknobs are a haven for a great deal of viral, Bacterial, and pathogenic badness.

I always wind up pulling the door open in a bathroom with fresh paper by the sink after washing hands. It doesn't do any good to wash your hands if 1/2 of the people before you don't and use the door handle.

noteworthy said:
I always wind up pulling the door open in a bathroom with fresh paper by the sink after washing hands. It doesn't do any good to wash your hands if 1/2 of the people before you don't and use the door handle.

Its what I do, to.

Cause like I said, I know the disgusting things that humans can do.

Heh..I open public bathroom doors with paper or sometimes my foot..hahahah
So even as I avoid the problem I add to it.
Water fountains that you drink from are one of the highest sources of strep. Never test them..it is too gross!

My biology teacher was into giving us more information than we needed...he was like the head of the CDC or some big guy there..an a major hepertologist and ichyologist and an archelogist/coroner dude. And more PHDs on his resume than most of us have retail jobs! :p Also like someone that found herpes X (yeah.. not just A and B out there..>shudder<) and he was taking a siesta by teaching and relaxing in a small town.

I am NOT afraid of the three things I COULD catch from a fish or from my dog eating off my ice cream. Otherwise I'd have a massive air system and never leave my house. The world is a disgusting place...all I can do is pray my immune system is up to the task! When I THINK of any fast food kitchen...I lose my appetite. And when I think of my summer working at Jimmy DeaN?? I wish there were laws against packaged food!!(You DONT wanna know 8O )

I just got strep throat on friday.. I should be feeling better on wednesday or thursday.. if I can just swallow without breaking tears all the time :(

--

They put me on steriods :twisted:

Feeling much better today.

--

I'm wondering if I should invest in some gloves... I do hate getting my hands wet. Maybe there is something local that would work just as good for a cheaper price.

Back
Top Bottom