Flowerhorn with Ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trombonier

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
20170528_190107.jpg

A flowerhorn that I've had for almost 2 months. Very active and eats anything (only fish food). He's in a 40 Gallon Tall by himself. Only 1 glass bowl as a decoration inside. No gravel. No plants. No other fish. I do 80% water changes every 3 days. I'm running a 150 Gallon Canister Filter with all the bio balls and activated carbon and media. I have a lot of small bubbles with the bubblers and the power head. Plenty of water flow. Water parameters. Normal for me. I've had this tank running for about 8 months without any sick fish. pH: 8.2, kH: 16ish, Ammonia: 0.25ppm, Nitrite: 0.25ppm, Nitrate: about 5.0ppm.
I did recently add a XO: HUMPY HEAD food to his diet. It looks to me like he tries rubbing himself against the heater and air stones like he's itchy.
I will post pictures. 20170528_190140.jpg

Sorry for the quality of the pictures. I don't have a good camera. But those are dots on his face, not air bubbles. I tried rubbing them with my finger. They don't come off.

This looks like white spot to me...try adding aome API Melafix

Ich is simple to treat without medications. Simply raise the temperature of the tank up a degree or so every couple hours until it hits 86 degrees. Keep it there for at least 10 days, I prefer to hold it at that temp for a week after the last sign of ich disappears. Then slowly reduce the temperature back to desired levels.

It is important to note that an air stone is recommended for heat treatment because warmer water holds less oxygen.

86 degrees would make it become steamed flowerhorn

86 degrees would make it become steamed flowerhorn
Heat is a regular treatment for ich, used by many people. And as mebid stated is within there temperature range.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom