Funky Poo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bremadie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is a pic of my male black sailfin molly and he has had this funky poo for a few days. Today I had my fist loss, I lost a female guppy who was doing about the same thing. He does not swim a lot anymore and seems to be real thin. I have just completed a bout of ICH and Popeye now that my tank is cycled I was hoping for no more problems. I have done all the water tests and all levels are normal and good. I also bought some pepso food which clears intestinal fish parasites but I still have to feed flakes because I have many small fish still in the tank. I have also thought of feeding him a pea but I don’t have any peas around right now, so is there anything else I can do? And is this anything to worry about? Thanks.[/img]

Could be a bacterial infection, I'd recommend a broad spectrum antibiotic like kanamyacin.

I honestly would run to the store and try a pea. Just get frozen ones, nuke it, peal the skin, and feed him the "meat". I think that may be the problem. Do you only feed flakes? They need more of a variety.

-brent

I was sticking to mainly flakes during the cycling because they are not as messy but i also have blood worms i have been feed them every other day or so. I so have some fungus care meds i bought to treat the Popeye i had a few weeks ago and i has Victoria green band and neutroflavine in it. It made my tank all yellow (which i didnt mind at all). in this 30 gallon tank i also have a guppy, a sward tail, two mollies, a pleco and about 15 fry from mainly the guppy, so what else you suggest i feed them?

I will try the pea

-Thanks-

Is the fishes fins clamped? What doe the pooh look like if it is clear it is a internal parasite if it is black than it is not. I would try something for parasites, I don't think feeding it a pea will do anything. It sounds like he is in trouble mollys like lot's of salt do you have any salt in the aquarium?

If there is blockage, peas will help. When feeding peas, feed only peas. Skip a day of any feedings and the following day, feed the peas. You may need to cut them or mash them a little bit. My Mollies, plecos, tetras, rams, apistos, loaches, cichlids and cory cats all like peas!
Aside from flakes and blood worms, try zucchini, cucumber, or green leafy lettuce on a clip or rubber banded to a rock. Pull out whatever they don't eat after 24-36 hours. Peel and rinse all veggies well. My mollies also like algae wafers, shrimp pellets and other assorted frozen food. My fish tend to eat better than I do 8O
Remember, not all fish will eat everything you offer--YMMV :wink:

OscarLivingston said:
It sounds like he is in trouble mollys like lot's of salt do you have any salt in the aquarium?
Although Mollies prefer some salt, it is not nessecary. I did a lot of reserach before purchasing Mollies for a brackish tank that never happened. You can keep Mollies in a brackish tank or a FW tank and I have heard the odd story or two of keeping them in a SW tank!

Please post your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite and nitrate).

True it is not necesary but it will help them cope with almost any diesease they will have, in the pet store I work at when we treat mollys for anything we dump about two cups of salt in a fourty gallon tank and it helps them perk up right away. Also they are far more tolerable to salt than most livebearers especially sword tails who sometime don't like salt at all and can react badly to it.

Bremadie, how many of your fish have this problem? If it is only a few, QT them right away.
Since you do not have only Mollies in this tank and you do have fry along with other live bearers, for now, do not add salt. If you QT the Molly, add some salt.

I put salt in the tank over a month ago and I add it when I do my water changes and I think it one table spoon for every five gallons and the fish do not seem to mind at all.

The poop is in parts clear and in parts normal poop and he is the only doing it now...I had a guppy who had strange poo and she is now gone (she died yesterday).

His fins are kinda strange I would not say clamped maybe kind of gimpy. He seems to have trouble breathing as well.

I am going to get some peas today and I will not feed them until late tonight. I fed them a bit this morn so not to starve my babies I will feed them the peas tonight. Some of my fry is only two weeks old so I dont feel comfortable letting them go that long with out food.

I have bought some medicated food for intestinal fish parasites and I have feed them mainly that with some real crushed up flakes for my fry. They did not seem to keen on it last night but they eat it this morn.

I will try all those other foods now. My bf just got all his cichlids yesterday and he plans on feeding them a nice variety so it should be easy.

Thanks for all the help!

okay i put the peas in and to my surprise the fry seem to love them. the trick is to get them small enough. But my male molly does not even seem interested at all. And now my female molly is doing the same thing, but she is eating. ARG.

I should have mentioned that my fish laughed at me when I first fed them peas, but they were all gone by morning!!

Tell your bf to join us and post pics of his cichlids.

He's got a few pictures of his new African mubuna cichlids at http://www.caribou-maine.net/gallery/fish

These were taken the night they were put into the tank, and they have a little more color now.

Those guys go crazy over the peas, they seem to like them a lot, and they've started digging holes under the rocks in the sand.

well...i have some sad news...well the male seen in the pic has now passed away. This one makes me more sad then when i lost the guppy. Why did they live through the tank cycling and die when the tank was cycled?

Back
Top Bottom