Gbr fungus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harryhorse

Aquarium Advice Activist
My gbr must of had a fight at my lfs before I bought him an did not c his torn lip now 3 wks later he has Dunbar growing in mouth an seams hard 4 him 2 eat. Been treating him 4 a week an no change. Q. Will he get better or is he in pain an I should put him down. Pls help

What are you treating him with? If its true fungus, he needs an anti-fungal med. If the 'fungus' on his mouth is off-white to greyish in color, it may be columnaris instead of a fungus. Columnaris is a bacteria and needs to be treated with antibiotics.

It's white treating him with fungus med at work so not shore off name. Just not shore if he will get better or just suffering don't won't him to suffer

Is he in QT? If you can, please qt him. Lets try one more thing before giving up!If you dont have a qt tank, a large plastic storage bin (20-30gal) with a filter & lots of air will work(air stones/bubblers). Keep the temp @74. It is absolutely vital that you keep his water perfect (0 amm, 0 nitrates, few nitrates). Dose his water with aquarium salt as you would do for ich. Go buy Maracyn & Maracyn 2 (made by Mardel) and follow the dosing instructions provided. Both products can be used safely together. One attacks gram+ bacteria & one attacks gram- bacteria. After the 1st course of treatment, you may have to follow with another. I suspect your dealing with columnaris rather than a fungus because the fungus meds arent working. That said, how are your tanks water parameters (amm/nitrite/nitrate)? Fungus & columnaris are both opportunistic illnesses that tend to occur when conditions are less than ideal (may have been situation at your lfs). I can not guarentee anything here because your fish may be beyond help but its worth a last chance effort!! Good luck!

Quick note-dont does the salt as high as you would for ich. Use half amount of the dose you would use for ich

Thx jlk will c how that goes ammo 0 nitrate 0 nitrite 0. I'm shore he had a torn lip when I got him my mistake should off checked him propley but he is mine now an will c how he goes

Im glad hes eating-thats a good sign!! Hopefully, he will continue to recover! It will take time & his lip may not fully regrow if the bone was affected but lets keep our fingers crossed!!! :)

Back
Top Bottom