Giant Gourami looks like he swallowed a marble!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thursyanna

Aquarium Advice Freak
One of my Giant Gouramis looks like he swallowed a marble. My other one and the rest of my fish look normal. I accounted for all my fish so I know he didn't eat one! Anyone know what is wrong with him?

Attachments

• 2013-03-05 17.20.58.jpg
    2013-03-05 17.20.58.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 143
  • 2013-03-05 17.22.26.jpg
    2013-03-05 17.22.26.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 111
That would be cool!! That would mean the other GG is obviously a male!! I guess tomorrow I'd better get a breeder tank to put her in. Or would she be OK in my 5 gal by herself. I have one set up and ready to go but with no fish in it. I've never had a fish lay eggs or have babies before.

I moved my gourami to a 5gal by himself. He (or she) looks worse this morning. He didn't even fight the net when I scooped him up to move him. Now he's just sitting at the bottom of the tank. Any more ideas?????

Attachments

• 2013-03-06 07.24.53.jpg
    2013-03-06 07.24.53.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 107
Are the scales sticking out? It looks like that to me. Which means she likely has dropsy. It's usually fatal and there's not much you can do.

His scales are sticking out some. What causes dropsy and is it contagous to my other fish? Is there nothing i can do for him?

I think thats what one of my bettas might have. It just lays down one the gravel the whole day unless it swims up for air.

I quaranteened my fish this morning but now i'm at work so I can't try and treat him until I get home. I might try and run home at lunch to see if he's still alive. If he is, I'll try putting salt in his tank and see what happens. Would a blanched pea help I wonder?

How to Diagnose and Treat Dropsy in Aquarium Fish

Here's a good article about dropsy. The scales sticking out (called pine-coning) is a pretty big giveaway that it's dropsy. Make sure to read the whole article, I think it'll really help you out. I don't think the pea will do anything, they are usually for constipation and if he has dropsy then that is most likely not the issue.

I'm sorry to hear that your fish has dropsy. Good water quality and kanaplex can help, but i've had two fish pinecone and die from dropsy and once they are pineconed they don't have a big chance of survival....sorry to hear that..... I hope it turns out for the best! Btw dropsy is a symptom of another illness, it's basically when the organs shut down and too much fluid builds up causing bloating and pineconing.

How to Diagnose and Treat Dropsy in Aquarium Fish

Here's a good article about dropsy. The scales sticking out (called pine-coning) is a pretty big giveaway that it's dropsy. Make sure to read the whole article, I think it'll really help you out. I don't think the pea will do anything, they are usually for constipation and if he has dropsy then that is most likely not the issue.

I actually disagree with most of this article. Dropsy is a symptom of disease, not a disease itself. It's causes vary widely and are not limited to bacterial infections thus making it very difficult to treat effectively. The typical 'dropsied' fish that has pine coned is indicative of organ failure, namely the kidneys. The body is unable to effectively remove fluids and they accumulate in the tissues and body cavities. Adding plain salt to a fish with renal impairment/damage will just further stress the kidneys. Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) is more effective and helps to lessen fluid accumulation. Metronidazole via food has had limited success in treating some fish as well as some prescription meds such as Baytril. However, if a fish does recover, the chances of this reoccurring are probable.

Oops, I'm sorry for the bad link! I've never experienced dropsy myself and thought that article was accurate as it went along with what I've read about it before. But apparently whatever I've heard wasn't correct. Listen to Jlk, she definitely knows what she's doing! Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Oops, I'm sorry for the bad link! I've never experienced dropsy myself and thought that article was accurate as it went along with what I've read about it before. But apparently whatever I've heard wasn't correct. Listen to Jlk, she definitely knows what she's doing! Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

No apologies needed! All opinions are welcome! Just be careful with some of those google articles- some offer advice that will cause more harm than good. :)

I don't know how but he's still alive this evening. I put salt in his tank but I don't have any meds. I hate to let him suffer if he's going to die on me but I don't want to give up on him.

Glad you jumped in here! :) Hope I can be more helpful next time. Was originally going to suggest against salt as well... but then saw that article and doubted myself since I wasn't too sure about the disease.

I put in aquarium salt. I hope I didn't make him worse! :( I like my little gourami but he's not looking well. All my others still look OK thank goodness.

Do you have access to any meds? If you added a lot of salt, just do a water change. I would not give up on him yet but he will need some further intervention if he is going to have a chance at recovery.

I found a box of Lifeguard at a friend's. I put one of those tablets in there. That's all I have this evening.
Oh, and I only put about a teaspoon of salt. I've got him in a 5 gal tank.

Yes, it's where i got my fish from. The little guy was dead this morning though so I guess I'll get some meds so that i'm ready in case it happens again. What do I need to get?

Back
Top Bottom