Gill Flukes.. or..?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkkInNj

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone, and I know there are probably 6546540 post about gill flukes and stuff.. but I had some other questions about it. Well first off, my tank is a new tank. It was setup about two weeks ago. The fish were introduced Friday and Saturday. Well, they all have died. They showed signs of gill flukes from the next morning. One of the fish was by himself, gasping for air at the top. He then went swimming all crazy. Then died. Then this started happening to all my fish. There are 2/10 left, but these two are not looking so hot. One of them is the biggest I have. They are all tiger barbs by the way. Anyways, I treated the tank yesterday because I was hoping to save some of the fish, but when I woke up four were dead. They had blood coming from their gills and by their nose. what the hect man.. I bought my fish from petsmart (since no local pet store is around). Now, since all my fish are being killed off sadly, what should I do before I go and purchase new fish? So the questions are;

Was this gill flukes? and
What should I do with the tank for a new setup?

:confused::confused::confused:

Hi! Welcome to AA!!! Lets start with a few basics first. Did you cycle the tank with an ammonia source before adding fish? Do you have a liquid (not strips) test kit for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & ph? What do these numbers read? What is the temp? How did you acclimate your fish to the tank? Did you dechlorinate/condition the water properly? What product do you use? Did you add ANY other products than a water conditioner to your tank?

It honestly does not sound like gill flukes but poisoning. Answering these questions will help to figure out what happened.

Back
Top Bottom