Gold Gourami Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koikid88

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm not new to tropical fishkeeping, but not an expert either.

I recently started keeping Gouramis in my well planted 90g, being my biggest tank at the moment. (Never kept Gouramis before)

All has been good for the 2 months, had to remove a bully in the first week, since then, all is good and nipped fins have healed great with treatment.
The 2 dwarfs fight with each other, but have no visible signs of injury. (Not worried about them)

It's my smaller Gold that I'm worried about.

Almost a week ago now, I noticed he was tucking all his fins tight to his body, and hanging in the plants more than usual. Moving a bit slower, but still eating.

Past few days, he has been moving fairly slow, with the occasional dash around the plants. (He stays away from the open area, I thought because he was being bullied, but I haven't witnessed any such behaviour.)
He still darts up to the top for food, but keeps 'missing' the food. Gulping beside it.
Past 2 days, he is actually getting the food in his mouth, but constantly spitting it out, eating, spitting, eating, spitting.. and eventually just leaves the chewed up pieces alone.

Today, I noticed his one feeler is a bit damaged, and going black on the tip. He also has a tiny white spec just at the base of his dorsel fin. I can't tell if it's a piece of loose flesh, or a fungus.

His behaviour and eating habits have been the same the past few days.

Does this sound like a fungal infection?

Please only answer if you've kept Gouramis.

(The Big blue Gourami, the healthiest and most active, has a little greenish circle on his head in between his eyes. I only discovered this after I closely examined all the fish after noticing the white mark on the Gold.. not sure how long the circle has been there... Is this signs of infection aswell?)

Getting kind of worried.

What are your water parameters (amm/nitrite/nitrate/ph)? How often do you do pwcs? Lets start there & try to figure out whats going on.

All is good,

Simply treated the entire tank with salt since I wasn't sure what I was dealing with (Usually put a small amount in anyway, just overdosed it a little), the spec is gone and he is eating again, the feeler looks like it's healing fairly quick. It was in bad shape yesterday.

All within 7 hours of treatment.

Although I'm not sure if the weird green circle on the Blue is shrinking or the same.

Ok. Im glad salt seems to be helping. I would keep an eye on things for now and post if things seem to get worse or if you have more questions.

Back
Top Bottom