goldfish can't close mouth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishyfishyfishy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
One of my fantail goldfish doesn't seem to be able to close his mouth. He swims around with it open, and tries to eat but can't keep the food in his mouth. I can't see that anything is wedged inside- my gravel is mostly dark-colored and I don't see that in his mouth.

what could be wrong??

To be honest this is most often caused by something being lodged in the mouth. If you are sure there is nothing in there, then it can be caused by a sore or ulcer on the roof of it's mouth.

The only way I've read on how to treat is to put the fish under anastesia and very carefully swab the top of the mouth with hydrogen peroxide, making sure to not get any on the gills.

Sorry I'm not of more help!

If the goldie is of a decent size I'd definitely net him out and inspect carefully, and see if you can actually reduce the dislocated jaw yourself by hand if there is no foreign body in there. This will happen from time to time with oscars, and I know goldfish are known to swallow gravel, but the bottom line is the fish will die anyway if it can't close its mouth, so it might be worth a try. Best of luck!!

I second TG's suggestion. Get a pair of tweezers with thin, but rounded tips and fish (no pun intended) around gently. A friend of mine did this while I held the fish, and it worked out OK and the fish did fine. With regard to the possibility of a dislocated jaw, you just have to push gently and see what you can do.

Definitely take him out and try something.

good news-

i was too afraid to try and handle the fish, as he is still pretty small.

but, I woke up this morning and he was fine- so hopefully everything is okay- i just hope he didn't swallow something that he can't poop out.

i dont think people give enough credit to the digestive system. if you let anything sit in acid long enough, it is going to desolve- even bubble gum

oh yeah- good to hear the goldy is feeling better

Back
Top Bottom