Goldfish has one swollen side

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

velvet1987

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

My goldfish Klaus has a swollen side and I'm wondering if anyone can help. He used to be orange but over the course of the past six months or so he has turned completely white. A few months ago his left eye became very swollen and I treated him with melafix. It didn't completely cure his eye, but the swelling did go down significantly.

Two days ago he started acting very strange, either swimming very erratically or laying on his right side on the bottom of the tank. After some google searching I believed he either had ammonia poisoning or swim bladder disease. So I tested the tank for ammonia and the level were at 0.50. This led me to cleaned his tank, replacing 75% of the water. There was no change in him.

I have been fasting him for two days now with the thought that it could be swim bladder disease. I plan to feed him a couple of peas this evening. But I don't know if he will eat them as he barely moves now. He has stopped swimming erratically, but now he hardly moves at all.

His left side is still slightly swollen, and he is laying on his side on the bottom of the tank. His breathing seems to be normal, he's no longer gasping for air like he was two days ago.

If anyone has any ideas how of if I could help him, I would greatly appreciate it. I don't want him to continue to suffer if he won't get better, but I want to try to save him.

Tank size: 36 gallons
Tank occupants: 1 goldfish

pH: 7.6
Ammonia: 0

Back
Top Bottom