Goldfish with septicemia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay I will add the kaneplex do you think I should add full dosage or half ? also from what I understand furan 2 kills all bacteria good and bad at least from what I looked up so do you think I should add tetra safe start plus for that reason I'll check the levels for ammonia and the others.

I was just thinking a full dosage of kaneplex with a full dosage of furan 2 might be overkill

Goldfish with speciemia

Please don't ever do a half dose of antibiotics. That is an extremely effective way to make bacteria stronger.

Plus one here. Best to follow dosing instructions.

It's hard to know how your nitrifying bacteria will go. At this point, it's first priority is fish. Water conditioners like seachem prime which detoxify ammonia for a time and water changes IF ammonia is an issue.

Last edited:
Plus one here. Best to follow dosing instructions.

It's hard to know how your nitrifying bacteria will go. At this point, it's first priority is fish. Water conditioners like seachem prime which detoxify ammonia for a time and water changes IF ammonia is an issue.

I'm using prime so hopefully that works the fish has shown improvement in the fact that his body isn't as red nowas it was before so hopefully that continues.

I just hope he starts to eat soon he hasn't eaten for some time.

Just weigh it up. If you are getting an improvement, keep what you are doing. Getting worse or same then antibiotics for bacterial infections are best options.

Wouldn't worry about not eating (I know, I know) but if not eating, don't force it for the moment. They can easily go most of a week without feeding and best not to have them eating if any signs of bloating.

What do recommend to get rid of the bloating ? Last night the fish seemed the same but I then used a flashlight and looked at pictures from before and there's a noticeable improvement in that the redness isn't everywhere and has gone down to a few spots still sitting though so I was going to add the kaneplex but like you said I added the furan 2 and thought if it's getting better I shouldn't add more medications even though I know now that's it's fine to do so hopefully the fish continues to improve just with the current medication

septicemia in goldfish help

I think you said you did a water change. Make sure to match temperature and Ph..... Then slowly add epsom salts 2-3 teaspoons per gallon to help with the bloating. Make sure to mix them with tank water and add them slowly to help fish get used to the salt. You need to know what is causing the septicemia also.... The nitrofuracyn in Furan 2 or Jungle Clear and Kanaplex should help but I believe something other factor led to septicemia... parasites etc.... I also have had success with septicemia in a fancy goldfish using maracyn two by marble with nitrofuracyn (Jungle Clear or API's Furan 2) and Kanaplex. How is your fish doing?

The fish is doing better less redness before it was really bad it's gotten better but still red on some areas of his body hopefully with the furan 2 treatment he will be okay but I don't know I still have one more treatment in furan 2 until the medication is supposed to be over but I quess I would continue to do another round of furan 2 treatment?

I don't know if I should do that or start Kaneplex after furan is over also the bloating is about the same and he's still sitting

yes I would have kanaplex and maracyn two by Mardel on hand in case he doesn't keep improving...Keep checking your water parameters because you want those to be perfect. The medicines may negatively impact your tank cycle and you want 0 ammonia and nitrates. Make sure you have removed any carbon from filter or that will negate the meds.

If he is improving but just not well than I would repeat the cycles of treatment. If the medicine doesn't seem to be helping then need to rediagnose. Also you will want to look up if furan 2 marycin 2 or jungle clear work in higher ph. My memory is at least one of these does not work at higher PH levels.... like above 8.0. I don't remember what your Ph was...

I have to check I forgot what my ph was I hope he keeps on improving I'm adding the epson salt now so hopefully that helps.

It says after treatment for a fourth final time of furan 2 24 hours after which is going to be in a hour from now to change 25 percent of the water and put in fresh filter media I assume this means add media that will take out the medication so since it's not completely clear should I just do a 25 percent water change and not do the filter part or should I then add furan 2 after my filter takes out the meds

If he is improving but just not well than I would repeat the cycles of treatment. If the medicine doesn't seem to be helping then need to rediagnose. Also you will want to look up if furan 2 marycin 2 or jungle clear work in higher ph. My memory is at least one of these does not work at higher PH levels.... like above 8.0. I don't remember what your Ph was...

It's the minocycline (Marcyn 2).

Back
Top Bottom