Gourami behavior issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bosk1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Originally, I think I was basically planning for my tank to be a gourami tank. As I've added fish, I've seen some interesting issues develop, and I'm not sure where to go next.

I initially added what I thought were two small female opaline gouramis: one blue; one gold. After they established themselves, the blue became more dominant. The blue has also more than doubled in size while the gold has grown more modestly. I now believe the blue is a male. Anyhow... Behavior at this point: The blue spent most of its time hiding behind/inside my large, bushy centerpiece plant, and only really coming out when food was present. The gold spent much of her time at the top of the tank, as you might expect a gourami to do. When food was around, the blue would chase the gold away constantly. It looked like somewhat aggressive behavior, but I never worried too much because the gold would run away, and then almost immediately swim back over to the blue. Both fish also got plenty to eat, so it wasn't like the blue was starving the gold out or anything.

A few weeks ago, I added a male pearl gourami. Since they tend to be more timid, I got one that was slightly larger than the blue so that he wouldn't get picked on too much. Initially, the gold spent the first few chasing the much bigger pearl all over the tank. Then suddenly, a few days later, it seemed I had reached the perfect gourami equilibrium. The blue still hid a lot, but would come out more often than previously. And the gold stopped chasing the pearl, and instead would follow the pearl around the tank, or make sure to get out of the pearl's way whenever she found herself in front of him. Both the pearl and the gold spent most of their time patrolling the top of the tank, and weren't very skittish. If the story ended here, all would be well.

Last week, the gold came up missing. At first, I didn't worry TOO much since fish go through weird phases where they hide. After 2 days, I found her dead. I have two terracotta flower pots in the tank. One is up against the back glass, and she somehow wedged herself between the pot and the glass. I took her out and did a pwc. Since then, both of the other gouramis became even more skittish, and both would hide. I became tired of this, and eventually removed the large, bushy center plant. The blue now hides behind another smaller plant. He seems to feel safe back there, but I can now more easily see him. The pearl is back at the top of the tank. But now both of them completely freak out when someone walks by or gets to close to the tank.

So, after all of that, I'm wondering whether there is anything I can do about it. I think I'll just leave the blue alone. If he wants to hide, so be it. But will adding another pearl or two help my existing pearl be less skittish? I'm thinking about going to the lfs tonight after work and picking up one or two. Does anyone have any thoughts?

In any case, it has been extremely interesting to watch the dynamics of the tank change so much.

Oh, and in case anyone asks, all parameters are ideal, so I don't think behavioral swings were induced by water quality issues:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5

How large is your tank? Did you happen to notice any sores on the Gold?

Unfortanetly, the behaviors of gouramis differ so much. You can get peaceful ones. You can get agressive ones. If it is your desire to have a gourami tank, you're more than likely going to have this problem where you have some that are too agressive for the others. I say add another 1 or 2 in and see if they can try and get along at all.

wow.. you've written a book. :D

Ok.. are you thinking your gold may have gotten jamed in the small space and wasn't able to escape, I seem to think that when reading your story.

I think you need more cover (I don't think removing the plant was the right idea, thats ok its not like you had an instruction manual on this or something) maybe add some more cover that is safe (the pots are fine but try to make it were there is enough room for the fish to swim around them) more plants should be helpfull.

IME what your seeing is normal stress from lack of cover.

I hope this helps, and good fishkeeping :p

greenmaji said:
wow.. you've written a book.

Yeah. :D Well, I hate trying to respond to posts where there isn't enough information, so I tried to provide as much as I could.

greenmaji said:
Ok.. are you thinking your gold may have gotten jamed in the small space and wasn't able to escape, I seem to think that when reading your story.

Yeah. I don't know what caused her to do that, but that's where I found her. It would probably have taken me much longer to find her, but my wife noticed my loaches had suddenly become obsessive about trying to get back there themselves, and then she notices the chewed up tail sticking out. I never saw any signs of any of the other fish bullying her, so I don't think any of them chased her back there. I think she may just have been looking for food, or been curious, or something. I have since moved the pot out a little so the fish can swim back there without getting stuck if they want to.

greenmaji said:
I think you need more cover (I don't think removing the plant was the right idea, thats ok its not like you had an instruction manual on this or something) maybe add some more cover that is safe (the pots are fine but try to make it were there is enough room for the fish to swim around them) more plants should be helpfull.

IME what your seeing is normal stress from lack of cover.

I don't know. There is still adequate cover, and there was more. This plant just dominated the tank, and I couldn't hardly ever even tell when fish were behind or in it. And the weird behavior started before I took it out. I have a few other arrangements in mind, so I may add it back in, but move some other stuff around so that it doesn't completely hide the other fish. Of course, then they'll be stressed because all of their boundaries have been shifted around. But they'll get over that quickly, I'm sure.

If you can see them when there taking cover then do you think its working for them?
just a thought..

I think the big plant and you not being able to see them when they take cover, could be what they want thats all.

then again
some of your ideas sound pretty good.. :p

I've had problems with my gouramis as well. Lately there's just been a little chasing at times, mainly between the golds, blue and opaline.
IMO, especially with the 3 spot gouramis (T. trichopterus-blue/gold/opaline), you should either only get 1 for a tank or 4+ to spread territorial aggression with only 1 male or all females.

As you can see from my sig., I added two pearls last night. Now all three pearls generally hang out together and pace the top of the tank. Now that's what I was going for.

more cover OOooHHhhhAAaaaaOOooHHhhAAaaaaa.. J/K

ok ok.. LOL..

I hope you have a long term solution there.. (correct ballance of numbers)

IME more cover then needed has always been better for stress on my fish, that would be why I suggested it.

good luck :p

Back
Top Bottom