Gourami died suddenly :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Evaunitone

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I found my gourami dead this morning. Sad. He was my showcase fish. Now I'm not sure what to do about it. I'm not sure why he died and I really dont want to medicate the entire tank unless I need to. I have a planted tank and at the moment I'm having an issue with hair algae. I really doubt that hair algae killed the gourami though. His body didn't have any sores on it or fungus etc so I'm at a loss for what might have happened. The pH is stable at about 7.5 and the nitrates / nitrites are very low. Maybe he just died and thats that, but I'm tempted to treat the tank with melafix and pimafix. any thoughts?

Are there other fish in the tank?

how long has the tank been established?

You said your nitrItes are very low - how low is low? NitrItes can be deadly to fish. What is their level now and how long have they been elevated above 0?

I wouldn't treat anything just yet, let's find the cause first before you start using any meds.

I'm agreeing with Neilan here. You shouldn't have any nitrites in an established tank. Did you change your filter media or add anything to the tank recently? What are your exact water parameters?

I would also hold off on medicating the tank until you figure out the cause.

Yikes, stupid move on my part. I'm not sure how I could have done this without thinking. My nitrates are always at 0 and I check them weekly. I did a big water change last night after realizing that my nitrates were at 10ppm (ooops). I did switch out my largest filter sponge for a new just a few days ago. How do we change our filter media without causing this nitrate spike? My poor gourami :(

cant use mela or pima fix with gouramis, sorry but that in itself will kill them since they are surface breathers and the medication puts an oily coat on the surface.

Ive never had luck with them, they last a while then just die. Its one species I will never keep again.

Nitrates of 10ppm would not have killed the fish. My tap water has 10ppm right from the tap. In fact, a normal fish tank should have some level of nitrates... Unless it is densely planted and the plants are bottoming the nitrates out.

I was more concerned with the nitrItes. What is the actual reading for them? I use polyfiber in my filters (cut to fit) so what I do is cut it in half when I want to replace it (which isn't often). I replace half, wait a few weeks then replace the other half. Never had any problems doing it this way.

I had a DG when I first started out, it was my favorite fish for a long time. I added some red-eye tetras to the tank (w/o QT'ing them) and they wiped out half my tank, DG included. :( I learned my lesson about QT'ing the hard way. I never got a new one because it seems the stock has gotten weaker and weaker as of late.

I don't actually have a nitrite test kit {cowers in shame} but I'll have to get one today when I go to the fish store. Now that Mr.Gourami-san has died I'm not sure what else to put in my tank if anything. 3 platys, 4 cories and 4 gold barbs, plus 2 ottos is what I have. Maybe some more gold barbs? I'm going to upgrade to a bigger tank eventually. I would LOVE to get a single sarasa comet but my tank might not be the most appropriate place for a goldfish. I've kept goldfish before, many of them and I love them. They're my favorite fish, but I just don't have a big enough tank for a goldy to live in permanently. Like I said I'm going to upgrade but I'm kind of set on planted tropical tanks and although I know goldfish are ok at higher temperatures, I don't 80F is the best for them.

I keep a little bit of filter foam in my filter off to the side of the filter pad, just to keep a permanent colony of bacteria in there. From what I've seen on here, most people don't change their filter until its falling apart, and they just rinse it in the water from a water change before tossing the water.

Back
Top Bottom