Gourami with lymphocitis?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marinemammalover

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a honey gourami with a sort of bump that has developed into a larger white lump. He has had it for about a week in a half, it only just now developed a white head to the bump. He has also been having clear stringy poop hanging off of him for about two weeks. Could this be lymphocitis or something else? I had another honey gourami die of a tumor a couple of months ago that I got from the Same place and at the same time.... Could there be a connection? Also I have noticed he has been resting at the bottom a lot and only going to the surface to eat and breathe, then returns back to the bottom to brave heavily, which is a change in his normal behavior. What could this be and what can I do?

image-198720968.jpg

image-1051351055.jpg

Is there anything I can do? I have been looking around in books and on the internet and I can't find anything that matches the symptoms or looks like the lump forming on his abdomen...

Could it also be a sore? He is very regularly resting at the bottom and he is worrying me. I plan on doing a medium water change tonight and checking water parameters. Please any suggestions at all would be helpful. I'm thinking it could possibly be a tumor also. The white stuff looks like its peeling and indented, but now fuzzy do I don't think it fungus. Please help.

What are your water parameters looking like? What other fish do you have in the tank, and are they affected as well? I would suggest that if you don't have any invertebrates or scaleless fish, you start with a parasite medication (Parazipro, Para-Guard, etc.) and treat the fish for internal parasites. That would address the white, stringy poo. As for the bump on it, I am not sure what it could be. Could it be an external parasite? If so, hopefully the parasite medication can fix this bump.

Thank you so much for responding.
I have something called "coopersafe" that treats ick, velvet, and external parasites. Would this work? I will test my water parameters and do a small water change now. None of the other fish are showing any symptoms (stringy poo). One zebra danio has an enlarged abdomen, but I haven't been able to figure what it is and it isn't affecting any of his behavior or eating habits at all. Could I add some aquarium salt to help with the wound on the gourami? I don't want to add medicine to my tank, unless it's absolutely necessary....which, to be fair, it might be. I've also read online that clear stringy poo can be a result of overfeeding or constipation. Do you know if this is true? Cause I have been known to have a little bit of a heavy hand when it comes to feeding. Also, if I did add the salt would the species I have in the tank (long-finned zebra danio, cherry barb, and honey gourami) be ok? And if so how much?

That is true about constipation and overfeeding. You would probably want to start with the simple fixes before resorting to chemical meds. You can stop feeding the fish for a couple of days and then try feeding it peas for a few days to see if that fixes the white poo.
For the possible parasites, you could try a salt bath where you add a teaspoon of salt for every gallon of water.. Instructions for a salt bath can be found hereGuppy Ailments and Remedies. Scroll down to the bottom of the page for more info on how to do the salt bath. This is on a site for guppies, but will work for any fish that isn't an invertebrate or scaleless.
The coppersafe would work for external parasites, if that is what the bump is on the fish, but it won't really work for internal parasites, from my understanding. :)

Thank you so much. It is starting to look more and more like lymphocytis (cauliflower disease), which from what I understand is something that just has to run its course. However, I have heard that it shouldn't be affecting the fish's behavior much. Is this true? Because if so it probably isn't cauliflower disease because he has been sitting at the bottom for a while. I did a 50% water change and tested my water yesterday. Ammonia was 0, nitrite was 0, but nitrAte was over 80ppm! I cleaned the gravel and am planning on doing another water change and checking of water parameters tonight. I might also add some salt. I guess I have been a little too relaxed in my water change schedule! (which I feel really bad about) Over 80ppm must have stressed my gourami (the most delicate fish in my tank) which led to this. Can anybody confirm that this is cauliflower disease?

Also, the white stringy poop is gone, so I don't think that it is parasites. And should I be separating him from the rest of the tank? or are the other fish already exposed and I should treat the entire tank?

It i starting to slough off now and is looking more fuzzy. Could it be some sort of Fungus? And should I be isolating him in a quarantine tank or will the stress be too much since he is already lying at the bottom? And how would I keep the quarantine tank cycled or is his not a problem since there would only be one fish in it? I have a spare 15 gallon tank that is already all set up but had some freshwater mussels in it. If I gutted that could I move him down there? Any advice would be much appreciated as he isn't looking any better and I dot know how to treat it as im not sure what it could be.

The basic description of what I am seeing if the pictures are sort I hard to we is white almost tissue/ fuzz erupting out of his scales in one circular patch. There is no redness around it. He is have clear stringy poop( which I'm pretty sure is cuz of overfeeding) and is Lying at the bottom, but IS still eating even though he looks weak swimming to the surface and can only stay up there (because he is so exhausted) for at most 5 seconds.

It doesn't look like a fungus at the start although I guess you could be unlucky and have secondary infection.

Also I find it kind of odd to get two fish with tumours. One sounds a lot, two seems strange.

I would QT and try a parasite medicine.

Back
Top Bottom