Green Tiger Barbs sick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dax29

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I purchased some green tiger barbs from Wal-Mart today. That is the only place I have seen them. Anyway, they are not moving around in my tank much, are not eating, and seem to be gasping. Their heads are also pointing down towards the bottom a bit. Their dorsal fin is not erect. I'm worried that I shocked them when I put them in my tank. The water from the bag was much cooler than what I keep in my tank (72F in bag, 82F in tank). I was in a hurry, didn't think, my 3 year old was talking and my 8 month old was crying, and I dumped the fish from the bag right into my tank. I think they are shocked. This happened about 30 minutes ago. The other barbs in the tank seem fine but they have been in there a while. I have a 29 gallon tank with 12 other young tiger barbs in the tank. I also have 3 corys and 3 small Yo Yo loaches. I gave all my other fish back to the pet store and decided to just have barbs, corys, and loaches. Do you think the green tiger barbs will make it? Are they shocked?

They probably are shocked, and by now you will have your answer to whether they'll survive or not. You should Always let them acclimate to new water by floating the bag i the new tank and slowly adding water to the bag (1 tablespoon/5min). I let them sit for 30 minutes-an hour.
Did the fish look healthy at the store? If so, they'll probably be in shock and not diseased.....but then again with walmart you never know........at least that's what i've heard :lol: :lol: :lol:

You 29gal might become too crowded once your 12 tiger barbs grow.

HTH

Green Tigers Better

The Green Tigers are better now. They are eating and acting normally. I checked on them this morning before I left.

Back
Top Bottom