hello fellow fish lovers! i need some help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashleyharrigan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had a very old 10 gallon tank. as I got older, I decided I wanted a bigger tank that I could handle all myself. I'm 17 and I've had the new 20 gallon tank for around possibly 10 months. I used the old filter and the new filter together so I could cycle it a litte faster. I had 4 guppies, 2 danios and a dojo loach (I now realize this is a cold water fish but I had it for years and was misinformed by petco.). they did fine for a month or so before I added new 3 guppies. the new guppies were sick and spread fin rot, ick, and probably other things. I ended up having to treat them for weeks and of course spread to everyone else. I did water changes and tested the water (the API kit with the tubes) frequently. everyone ended up dying except the dojo loach. so I eventually got new fish because I thought it was gone since there was only the dojo. I had 4 platies, 5 guppies, a guppy fry and of course the dojo. the same thing happened, everyone died except the dojo. water was fine. so I decided to just to empty all of it and clean the gravel, decor, and filter. this is where went very wrong and I replaced the filter media completely and the bacteria on anything else was gone. I didn't realize this was wrong until I got some platies, guppies, kulhi loaches, and my old dojo. the ammonia is extremely high and has been for weeks. the fact that fish died and some bodies were hiding obviously made it horrible. a few days ago, I took everything out, siphoned the gravel, and replaced 70% of the water in hopes of reducing it. it did, but now it's high again. I finally convinced my mom to get a hospital tank and placed them in there while the tank is cycling. I have a tiny filter in there with old filter media from a friend. the tank is kinda small but I figured it's better than being burned by ammonia. I also have a heater in there with a tiny plant. they seem to be doing better but I can't keep them in there forever. I have my old dojo, 1 kulhi loach (I have 2 in the main tank still because I'm having problems catching them) and 2 platies. what do I do now? just wait while the tank takes it's course? I'm just so frustrated. my family knows nothing about fish which causes them to scream at me whenever I do anything to it. please help! I need guidance!

I had a very old 10 gallon tank. as I got older, I decided I wanted a bigger tank that I could handle all myself. I'm 17 and I've had the new 20 gallon tank for around possibly 10 months. I used the old filter and the new filter together so I could cycle it a litte faster. I had 4 guppies, 2 danios and a dojo loach (I now realize this is a cold water fish but I had it for years and was misinformed by petco.). they did fine for a month or so before I added new 3 guppies. the new guppies were sick and spread fin rot, ick, and probably other things. I ended up having to treat them for weeks and of course spread to everyone else. I did water changes and tested the water (the API kit with the tubes) frequently. everyone ended up dying except the dojo loach. so I eventually got new fish because I thought it was gone since there was only the dojo. I had 4 platies, 5 guppies, a guppy fry and of course the dojo. the same thing happened, everyone died except the dojo. water was fine. so I decided to just to empty all of it and clean the gravel, decor, and filter. this is where went very wrong and I replaced the filter media completely and the bacteria on anything else was gone. I didn't realize this was wrong until I got some platies, guppies, kulhi loaches, and my old dojo. the ammonia is extremely high and has been for weeks. the fact that fish died and some bodies were hiding obviously made it horrible. a few days ago, I took everything out, siphoned the gravel, and replaced 70% of the water in hopes of reducing it. it did, but now it's high again. I finally convinced my mom to get a hospital tank and placed them in there while the tank is cycling. I have a tiny filter in there with old filter media from a friend. the tank is kinda small but I figured it's better than being burned by ammonia. I also have a heater in there with a tiny plant. they seem to be doing better but I can't keep them in there forever. I have my old dojo, 1 kulhi loach (I have 2 in the main tank still because I'm having problems catching them) and 2 platies. what do I do now? just wait while the tank takes it's course? I'm just so frustrated. my family knows nothing about fish which causes them to scream at me whenever I do anything to it. please help! I need guidance!

Hey Ashley,

Yeah I would say your best bet is to just let the tank cycle and the ammonia should go down eventually. If you can get your hands on some, most pet stores have liquid additives that gives the tank a boost in the production of bacteria needed in the filter. They also sell ammonia lowering chemicals for short-term relief.

Peace,
Ben

Look up echo he had a wonderful post for fish less cycling. What you will have to do is get some more media from your friend to help u. Or just run the normal cycle PWC every other day and test to keep your amp down but you will have to add a fish or add ammonia. Most folks in here don't buy into the junk the LFS sells to help u cycle. Overall just be patient.

okay, another question. is there anything i can do to help improve the damage that has been done to the fish? anything to strengthen their immune system?

okay, another question. is there anything i can do to help improve the damage that has been done to the fish? anything to strengthen their immune system?

I'm thinking maybe some liquid multi-vitiman/supplement to add to the tank would do wonders. Also provide the tank with plenty of air from an air pump with give them more comfort. Make sure they have plenty of hiding spots for themselves and are being fed well. You should see some improvement in anywhere from 4 to 7 days.

Just have to be patient :)

Ben

Maybe I'm missing something but placing the fish in a hospital tank is still going to cause the same issue b/c they are in an uncycled tank. You should prob leave them in the original tank. What you'll need to do though is test the water every day and do a water change any time ammonia or/and nitrite are 0.25 or higher, or nitrates are over 20. You may need to do more than 1 water change per day, or even large back-to-back changes. Use a good dechlorinator like Seachem Prime. Here's a guide that might help: I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

Maybe I'm missing something but placing the fish in a hospital tank is still going to cause the same issue b/c they are in an uncycled tank. You should prob leave them in the original tank. What you'll need to do though is test the water every day and do a water change any time ammonia or/and nitrite are 0.25 or higher, or nitrates are over 20. You may need to do more than 1 water change per day, or even large back-to-back changes. Use a good dechlorinator like Seachem Prime. Here's a guide that might help: I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

so does that mean even if the filter media is from a cycled tank, it's still considered uncycled? ugh. i'm confused. lol. i mean, a little is okay compared to the main tank. the main tank is at 2ppm. also, i've been using prime for a few days and it's still not doing anything. :(

You will still have a mini cycle maybe you will not even notice it. But it does help that you have established media. The prime help you neutralize clorine in your water as well as change ammonia to a less toxic,but it will not eliminate it from your tank that is why you need you BB for.

okay so I just tested my water and the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are all at 0ppm. is this even possible? :0

I tested it again today and got the same results. WHATS GOING ON?!?! hah

so I only have one platy, one kulihi, and the dojo. ugh. this sucks. i feel so bad for the kulihi since I know their very social little creatures. last time I was at my fish store, I sold them out. they don't get them in very often and that's the only place around me that sells them at all.

Back
Top Bottom