Hellp! Ram lost all color!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Burger Wife

Aquarium Advice Regular
HELLP! my female ram has suddenly turned pale! All color poof gone! The male is chasing her around. Why? Is he being aggressive?
1500734052089.jpg

Ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 5 to 10 pH 6.4
In the photo it is not so obvious but she is almost completely white and pale. Like really pale. Definitely not normal. Can someone heelllp? Thxthxthx

Sounds like the male is harassing her. If you add another female it should help.

Never a good sign when rams do that. She might not like him like he likes her. More is better most of the time. Maybe just change bottom structure up a little to give him new territory first

She is better now. The rams have laid eggs before 3 times but only the most recent one hatched. Then the fry died. That was 2 days ago. but if they have spawned before why do they hate each other now?

Marriage is complicated lol, I honestly don't know but I cannot put another male rainbow in my tank because my dominant turquoise eats them, fish are so hard to understand I'm glad she's got her color back, just watch for him pestering her if he's staying her out put him in time out (not kidding)

When cichlids are being bullied the weaker ones color will either fade like yours or turn dark.
One member already suggested adding another female, that's probably the best plan. Adding 2 more might be better. Usually not good to introduce fish one at a time. A lone fish often becomes a direct target for an established aggressive fish.
Sounds like you are doing very well with your tank. It's not that easy getting German rams to spawn.

Ugh the male is chasing her AGAIN! they had been caring for about4 day old fry but now all gone. But if i add another female or 2 will it be to small in a 20 g with other fish? A leopard Cory, 10 pygmy cories and 8 otos.

Do not add females to the tank.
Rams are monogamous so the pair [yes the male even with good chance] will chase and whip the other girls.
Other fish [dithers ] may work well to distract him but in general the male will run the show .
Raising ram fry is very difficult...Don't get hopes up on fry surviving without pulling them and raising them yourself properly.....

Do not add females to the tank.
Rams are monogamous so the pair [yes the male even with good chance] will chase and whip the other girls.
Other fish [dithers ] may work well to distract him but in general the male will run the show .
Raising ram fry is very difficult...Don't get hopes up on fry surviving without pulling them and raising them yourself properly.....

Aside from addicting dithers, would increasing cover / decreasing line of sight be helpful?

Aside from addicting dithers, would increasing cover / decreasing line of sight be helpful?
Yes adding cover will help her greatly.
She needs to have some form of shelter or hiding place from him.
I always try to have several line of sight brakes for each to justbe able to relax without seeing each other.

Thanks.
How would this do for cover and limited line of sight? This is an old tank pic.
IMG_1390.jpg
Sorry for the double pic

Attachments

• IMG_1397.JPG
    IMG_1397.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 31
Yes, i definitely believe your planted tank offers the benefits of cover and concealment as well as broken lines of sight.
Very impressive. A lot of skill required for that one.

Yes, i definitely believe your planted tank offers the benefits of cover and concealment as well as broken lines of sight.

Very impressive. A lot of skill required for that one.

Thanks. It's more like neglect. A heavily planted tank requires weekly trimming. I got away from the semi-Dutch style tank last year.
I envy those that can care for and breed the more challenging species of fish.

Back
Top Bottom