Help 2 guppy deaths and now a nitrite spike

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
rosie2126 said:
UPDATE: Did just over 25% wc which made little difference so I did a huge water change (60%) and it's come back down to 0.25 unfortunately lost another guppy :-( and one seems to have jumped in his place (at the top of the tank) is there a reason they take turns and not all suffer at once?

That's what has me baffled and why I asked about showing any disease symptoms. Have you examined any if the fish that have passed?

Oh sorry forgot to mention that, added aquilibrium salt and it seems to be helping the other little one now, fingers crossed

UPDATE: I tested the water first thing and the nitrite has shot back up again. Is this going to happen everyday until the filter can handle things again?

Yes I would do 50% water changes daily until your water stabilizes. You probably just stocked a little faster then the filter could handle. Definitely use Prime water conditioner. And hang in there it will work it's self out. Just keep testing and changing.

Remove the lid, lights out for 48 hours more if needed. Add an air stone to help the pollution rotate an dissolve.. No feeding for 48 hours. Go help some hardy plants to put in to help soak it up.. Worked for me...

Been doing the daily water changes, I've been adding aqualibrium salt (after the water changes as said on the box) which seems to have eased the fish. I also added an air stone yesterday. Thanks for mentioning about keeping the light off, I hadn't been but I will do. I haven't fed them in the last 24h. I do have another tank unfortunately I've had filter problems (worst possible timing)

Been doing the daily water changes, I've been adding aqualibrium salt (after the water changes as said on the box) which seems to have eased the fish. I also added an air stone yesterday. Thanks for mentioning about keeping the light off, I hadn't been but I will do. I haven't fed them in the last 24h. I do have another tank unfortunately I've had filter problems (worst possible timing)

Do you remember anything that changed in the tank over the last few days?

After the death of the first fish the water parameters were fine, for two days. On the 3rd day after the 2nd fish death the nitrite shot right up. I had started feeding a small amount of shrimp brine, could that have caused this?

Did you remove the dead fish straight away?

Not sure if the food would have made a difference... Does anyone else have any ideas on that?

As soon as I saw them (both in the morning) they had sunk at this point. I've lost 2 more since. They seem to have taken turns, but after the last one (last night) not one of the remaining ones have started acting the way the other have.

Just tested again and it's 0.25! Last water change over 24h ago

Sorry yes the nitrite. Ammonia is 0, it's been 0 throughout all this

Well that's good news. I would keeping testing the water levels regularly. I'd consider another PWC if you haven't done one in 24 hours. It sounds to me like something was in the brine shrimp? I'm not sure but I would hold back on feeding one more day and go back to granules/previous food you fed them with next time. Varying the food is good anyway.

Do all the fish look okay in the tank? Are there any colour changes, white spots, fin rot etc?

What size is your tank?

The others look fine, no change in colour, no white spots or fin damage of any kind. They seem all happy enough swimming around the tank and in and out the bubbles. How much wc would you recommend? My tank is 10g/45litres

Sorry just read your tank is 10g. I missed that. You don't gravel clean more than once a week? Also don't clean too deeply. Also when you clean your filter only do it in dirty water taken from your tank. When you dechlorinate your water do you leave it in a bucket somewhere for an hour or so before adding it? Make sure it is covered in case anything falls in e.g someone spraying air freshener.

The others look fine, no change in colour, no white spots or fin damage of any kind. They seem all happy enough swimming around the tank and in and out the bubbles. How much wc would you recommend? My tank is 10g/45litres

That's good then. I wouldn't change more than 25-30% water. What is your temperature like and are they all breathing normally now? They shouldn't be opening and closing their mouths much.

My temperature is 25c. Breathing all looks fine and they're all very active, none are hovering at the surface

Back
Top Bottom