Help Fish Dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mbrew345

Aquarium Advice Regular
In the past 2 days I've lost 3 guppies and all the rest are always laying on the bottom of the tank. But when I walk up and act like I'm going to feed them they all spring to life. The tank has been set up since Feb 15, 20013. I got the master water test kit just now and here are the results

Temp 78
Ammonia 1.0ppm
Nitrites 0.25ppm
Nitrates 5.0ppm

Need advice

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397250940.756374.jpg

The ammonia is quite high, which explains their behavior. However, if the tank has been set up that long with fish, that's interesting.

Tank has had fish in it since I got it back in March (didnt know about tank cycling) these guys have been in there for about 4 days. I have been thru a lot of fish learning the hard way.

Unfortunately, they may not make it. Keep the water aerated and continue doing water changes of at least 50% daily for the next few days, and continue testing the water. It's sounds like the cycle was somehow broken, and needs to be restarted.
You could try getting a bottle of bacteria to give it a quicker, and possibly fishing saving chance.
If you do give the tank bacteria, reduce the water change to 25%.

You are currently fish in cycling , you are close to the end but you need to test twice a day and change water as needed, 25% wc will not do much, do a 50% to cut levels in half..also.. How many fish in this 6g?

Question - Could changing the Cabon broke my cycling? Cuase I was following the instructions that said it needed to be replaced every 30 days. LOL and so far the instructions from them seem to be "Off"

Chances are yes, but the bacteria in the tank would not of solely been concentrated in the carbon. So unless you replaced everything, it's still there, just not as much. It will take some time for it to grow back.

The way my filter is setup is -- from top to bottom

Bio Balls
Carbon
Purigen (had a brown tank do to drift wood that was later removed)
Sponge

Just keeping checking the levels, do the suggested water changes, and it'll build itself back up.

Well, it appears that a lot of your bacteria is wanting to grow there. I wouldn't change any of it out. Just visually inspect your sponge for large chunks, and keep up with your purigen regenerations.

Back
Top Bottom