HELP!! Fish have ich!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snailmail

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My freshwater tank (10 gal) has ich. It seems that even with medicating my tank prior to introducing the new fish into my tank, one of the new guys (or all) were sick and were not showing it. I was careful and made sure they were not overfeed and I could tell that after the first day the stress they felt from going from the store to my tank wore off because their colors returned. For about five days things were fine (except losing 2 neons because of the shock of going from the bad tanks at the store to my clean one)....until a friend of mine told me her fish had ich and sure enough, two days later, my fish started to show signs as well (I started medicating the day she told me as precaution). I don't want it to take my tank....any suggestions? I know I have to (when I re-medicate them almost every night) take water out and clean the gravel (not too much as to agitate it) a bit with the suction tube (I don't know what it's called exactly) before putting the medication into my tank. Most of my fish are showing signs but there are still a few that seem resistant to it (my red fin shark, the plecostomus--nicknamed plec, and one neon tetra I had before getting the new guys) for now. The snail (which I will be putting his problem as a separate thread) and shrimp have been separated from the tank and will be until the ich disappears from the big tank. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to help make sure it doesn't take any more of my fish and to rid my tank completely of ich? Or can I only medicate it and hope for the best (which doesn't suit me at all)?

slowly raise the temp to 82 degrees while treating the ich for the duration of the treatment. make sure you add more water movement like an airstone while the temps are up because the warmer the water the less oxygen in water

Back
Top Bottom