Help hurt fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Batgirl

Aquarium Advice Activist
Yesterday I got two bristle plecos one albino one regular. I put them in my five gallon tank to quarantine them. Today when I started my water change I couldn't find my regular bristlenose pleco, then when I added water I saw him on his back severely injured torn fins and bite marks but breathing so I put him in my small container I use to take out water and hung it in the tank because I don't have a heater for my other tanks yet. I toke out more water and added fresh clean water. Is there anything I can do to save this fish? I don't want him to die and I feel really bad I put them in a small tank together I just saw them together at the store and thought they'd be fine for the time the quarintine time.

Is the tank he was in cycled? I've never heard of bn's fighting, they are usually very peaceful, but being in such close quarters may have made someone unhappy.

And the injuries are new? You didn't notice them when you picked him at the store?

Yes, there defintly new he has a huge patch torn of him along with most of his find and is only moving every minute or so in an almost shudder

What are your water parameters? I'm honestly not sure what has caused this, but for now all we can do is try to get him healthy again.

I'm not sure I'm not at my moms house right now but I tested earlier and it said something like ammonia=0 nitrite=0 nitrate=5(pretty sure) ph=6.5 gh or kh (I think gh) = 300

Double check ASAP. We need to make sure that water is nice and clean so he's less likely to get an infection.

The next time I'm there is Sunday night but I can get my mom and my sister to change the water again if you think that will help? I feel bad about leaving him but I had to go to my dads house :(

That sucks. Tbh, you'll likely loose him between now and then. If your mom and sister can do 50% daily water changes, he might make it. Have them had some melafix to prevent infection too. I hate to recommend any chemical treatment without knowing for sure what we are battling.

He's alive today :) and my mom is picking up melafix in her way home from dance class then she is going to do a water change. What is the best way to make the temperatures match? I always hold the jug in the water for a bit then make sure a can't feel a temperature difference will this mess with him? I don't want to hurt him anymore than neccesary.

I adjust the temp while filling the bucket, just turn on the hot and cold knobs and adjust til it feels the same as my tanks. If its a little too warm, let it sit for a few minutes then come back to it.

Could one of them get pics of the fish for us?

Well the fish is doing a lot better and is swimming around I guess I was just shocked. This picture doesn't show his hurt side but its something.

Attachments

• image-2340247916.jpg
    image-2340247916.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 53
I'm glad he seems to be doing ok today. It appears he is still in a bucket, is that bucket filtered and heated?

The bucket is hanging (has a handle) in the other tank so it is heated and has enough of a gap to get filtered water but not enough space for the albino pleco to reach him or my two platy fry (test to see if they would munch on my fry population in my main tank).

I was wondering if you thought the albino bristle nose pleco and the normal bristle nose pleco got in a fight over space? Both plecos had injures just the albino were just some turn fins. The normal one jumped from his bucket into the tank today and I don't want to wake up to a dead pleco, but he obviously thought the bucket was to small and I don't have a heater for the other tank UNLESS I move the heater from my 55 gallon over (55 gallon holds heat more) and turn of my ac (so 55 gallon doesn't cool down dramatically). Do you think I should do that?

After closer inspection I realized the albino pleco was missing almost it's entire tail and had a red mark on it. I really don't want to hurt these poor fish so I am tempted to move one just in case but I don't have a cycled filter for the other tank but am very willing to do 50%+ water changes in the morning and afternoon on the tank. I want you guys opinion.

I guess my regular bristle nose pleco hoped back in for revenge and now there both dieing I separated them but don't think the albino bristle nose pleco will make it through the hour :,(

Back
Top Bottom