Help me! My balloon belly ram looks like he's dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BullFeathers

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
He started turning black a while ago. I heard it meant bad levels, so I started doing 50 percent water changes daily with no results (fish or levels).

I also added a cave to hide in since I just trimmed back his favorite garden and he seemed way more skiddish (specifically afraid of me) than usual.

I also have no confirmation that he's been eating.

Please, please help!

How big a tank?
What other fish in the tank?
How long has the tank been set up?
How long have you had the Ram?
What are the levels, exactly?
What kind of water? (tap, RO?) and what conditioner is used?

How big a tank?
What other fish in the tank?
How long has the tank been set up?
How long have you had the Ram?
What are the levels, exactly?
What kind of water? (tap, RO?) and what conditioner is used?

Answers to these would help.

Balloon rams are incredibly weak though. Just normal German blue rams are weak fish due to the fact that they have been inbred so many times to bring out the colors, then to add in a deformity to give it the balloon shape is just stacking another card against the poor fish. If your balloon ram has died I'm sorry for your loss but please do not purchase another. There really shouldn't be any support towards purposefully breeding a deformity into an already genetically weakened fish.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

The tank is only 15 gallons.

The other fish in the tank are three guppies and a farlowella. (I've been meaning to relocate the farlowella because I believed the tank is too small for her. I now also believe that she is too big for the tank, in terms of bioload; I figured that could be partly why the nitrate seemed hard to lessen.)

The tank has been set up for at least a few months. To be honest I've lost track but since winter for sure (technically about two and a half years, because I had my first fish in there first - a betta).

I have had the ram for maybe a month and a half or two months.

Ammonia and nitrite have been consistently absent, but nitrate levels (I admit it's hard sometimes to tell the difference on the color chart) are around 30ppm (up to maybe 40/50 if I'm erring on that side, like I said, I find it sort of hard tp tell the difference between a couple of them) which I know is high.

I use tap water with Prime dechlorinator. I have a couple other tanks running perfectly (or sp I think) with the same water.

Last I saw of my ram, he was trying to hide himself under things and lay flat. He had enough spark in him to relocate himself a couple of times, but it definitely seems like his intent is to be as still (and hidden) as possible. That alone isn't weird, he's always liked a hidey spot. But now he's laying down, swimming sideways or even upside-down!

I turned the white lights off prematurely today in hopes that I help him feel successfully hidden, but I don't have high expectations.

It's also probably worth noting that after the water changes didn't seem to be helping much, I backed off for a little while (except for my weekly routine) because I didn't want to stress him more than I needed to. Since he was already afraid of me enough to hide whenever I came to feed them, I didn't feel like sticking my hands in the tank everyday was paying back what it took.

I was trying the everyday routine again this week and today was the second day of that second attemt.

Just for my knowledge, how hard is it to screw up the nitrate test?

Aside from the possible reality that Nigel raised, it sounds like you're doing all you can do for this little guy.

For any Blue Ram (or variant) my understanding is they are really sensitive, so Nitrates shouldn't go over 20. In other words, if you are getting what looks like 5 or 10 and erring on 20, that would be better. I would do daily water changes of 30% (5 gallons) until you can barely detect nitrates. Maybe use 2x dose of prime when you add the new water, wouldn't hurt.

Maybe scared of the farlowella for some reason? I dunno, but the guppies are certainly helpful as dithers for the ram to feel more comfortable, even better if you had 3 more. But maybe remove the farlowella first.

The problem with moving the farlowella is I have nowhere to put her. I've been looking for a 29 gallon tank, but I don't have quite enough money for a straight retail tank at the moment. I actually had to relocate the guppies because they tried eating him a couple times.

He still has the black stress stripes and he now seems to be unable to upright himself. He's not floating to the top, however, he's stuck at the bottom. I also think that the being upside-down makes him less able to swim, so he tries to wedge himself into and under things. I still have hope (believe it or not), but I don't know what to try. I've been trying to feed him some garlic-soaked food (flakes, frozen bloodworms) to no avail. He won't seem to eat them (I don't think; I'm not used to looking at an inverted fish).

Thank you Nigel and roachslayer for your help so far and anyone else who can suggest something. I'm not ready to stop trying until he's dead.

Tank temp?
80+ is best for ram.
Unfortunately it doesn't sound like he will recover.
Above posters are correct about "sensitivity".
The ballon rams are really questionable IMO.
Sorry about your fish , can't pin down a good treatment without cause.
I would watch other fish incase the tank is ill and not just the ram.

Sorry for the late reply.

I think the temperature was exactly 79.

For the record, (hence the late reply) the ram is now dead. I did take some pictures of his sad, colorless body in hopes to verify any possible signs of infectious disease (or anything else to worry about spreading) but I've seen no symptoms in my other fish at all.

Thank you guys all again for your help and advice.

Sorry to hear this.
If you dig the rams and consider re stocking I would advise to get straight GBR as opposed to the "balloon".
They are hard enough sometimes anyways!

Back
Top Bottom