Help.. Not sure if I have sick fish..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sabrinarichard

Aquarium Advice Freak
So a week ago my boyfriend surprised me with two beautiful female guppies! The thing is I just saw them quickly and had to go on the road for work.. So I come back tonight.. I don't really remember exactly what they were like but it seems to me one's body has a white patch (like if it was rubbed of) that wasn't there and one seems to have 3 white spots that we're not there either.. Help ?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390884371.811667.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390884546.045179.jpg
You can hardly see the spots on the second one.. Does the pach look natural ?

Like a loss of scale.. She was almost dead this morning.. Even though she was swimming fine yesterday :( the other one still seems fine.. I put some parasite medication in the hospital tank I had from a while ago before going to work.. It's all I really had.. In the community tank everything looks good.. Parameters were good, I had a little tiny bit of nitrites but did a 50% water change (I was gone all week my bf just did 20% water change at the end) that's when I saw her... Could it be nitrite poisoning ? Should I treat with salt ?? The only thing I ever got before was ich :/

Like a loss of scale.. She was almost dead this morning.. Even though she was swimming fine yesterday :( the other one still seems fine.. I put some parasite medication in the hospital tank I had from a while ago before going to work.. It's all I really had.. In the community tank everything looks good.. Parameters were good, I had a little tiny bit of nitrites but did a 50% water change (I was gone all week my bf just did 20% water change at the end) that's when I saw her... Could it be nitrite poisoning ? Should I treat with salt ?? The only thing I ever got before was ich :/

It doesn't sound like nitrite poisoning but can you list all water specs you have, including ph and temp?

http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/disease/p/nitritepoison.htm

Also what sort of fish you have and how long the tank has been going. Is there any chance the fish got caught or stuck on something or attacked?

The parasite medication may help with fungus depending on what is in it. Keep the aeration up. It doesn't sound like a fungus but this should help prevent secondary fungus.

I would try the salt for sure. It sounds like the fish are in QT so plants won't be a problem with salt treatment? Also pwc's as you are doing. If it is bacterial, then the pwc's and salt will help.

Ok so,
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0.3 mg/l (which is about the same as ppm, but not quite I read)
Nitrate:7
Ph:7
Temp: 78f
I have 2 other male guppies, 6 female,
3 platy, 2 female dwarf gourami, 1 males, 5pink danios, 6zebra,
It's a 40g and has been up for about a year.. The guppy died.. I'm still treating the other one.. It's weird it doesn't look like ich it's only 3 spots, not changing or advancing .. No other fish seems to have any problems.. I'm going for another 50% wc tonight in my community.. Should I also do it in my hospital tank ? Should I add salt in my community ?

Specs look good. If all looks good in the main tank with fish, I would just do water changes.

In the QT I would try and run the course of the meds (usually 3 days here) and then pwc, redose as needed. Unless ammonia is high I find IMO this is less stress on fish in QT with meds.

Edit - although that nitrite is a little odd. Is that with test strips or liquid and is water used for pwc normally 0?

It doesn't look like ich. Hard to tell on the iPhone but I would say bacterial and/or fungal.

Last edited:
It's a liquid test.. I did another 50% tonight wc.. It's almost not showing any colour now in my nitrite test..but I usually do 2x 25% in a week and this week only a 20% was done 4days ago.. (I came back the day after) .. I think that might be it.. Also the fish were fairly new (both with problems) less than 2 weeks..

I never got around to testing the water in my apartment.. But I use aquaclear for tap water..

Good news.

Does sound suspicious for those two as I understand it both were new from the lfs. How is the other one doing?

Yes.. We got them together they were almost identical that's why I found the white spot suspicious.. I'm thinking that the other one is uts normal colouring still keeping the salt and high temp for a while.. I also noticed one of my platies defecating clear string... I'm going to have to treat my whole community tank for parasites I believe :(

Right now all you can do is frequent water changes and make sure your water temp is not too low.

So, she's fine now :) still keeping her in quarantined for another 24h, so happy! She really is a beauty. Thank you!!!

Back
Top Bottom