Help please, Goldfish Bubble Eye Just Injured

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rachelstar

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was just changing water for my goldfish when she was accidentally sucked into the syphon tube. This has never happened before. My goldfish is very precious, I've had her almost a year now, she is the first fish I have successfully kept.

When I noticed her in the tube, I immediately broke the suction and let her swim out. She seemed fine but after a couple minutes, started struggling to swim. Her "bubble eye" (not sure if its called a bubble or telescope eye) has swollen and filled with blood. She is swimming slowly now and I don't think she is seeing from that eye.

I feel terrible about this- I have been working so hard to keep her healthy and safe and now this happens. Have I just blinded her or worse with my negligence? What do I do now? So thankful for any advice

I clean her water every 2 days.

Healthy fish can often survive injuries. The best thing to do is reduce stress and keep her water very clean.

If you have her with other fish, you might want yo isolate her so that they don't pick on her.

I'm so sorry.

I've accidentally killed fish. It really does feel terrible.

I'm relieved to say that Spy is back to herself again. She is swimming around quite well and is eating. I am medicating her with Melafix to be safe. Her "bubble eye" still looks bloody but she seems to be seeing well again.

When I first got her out of the tube, it made me sick to see what it had done to her. She was in such a daze, she just stopped moving and pointed face down at the bottom. I didn't realize the siphon vacuum could hurt her. I need to find a way to stop her getting sucked in anymore.

Back
Top Bottom