Help-Red Cap Oranda's "cap" coming off!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Suzieszoo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Water chemistry is right on, did water change anyway. Temp is 73, using salt, no meds until I identify this. He is a huge fish and is behaving normally otherwise. Whitish threads sticking up in areas where the surface of the red cap on his head is missing. Any help is greatly appreciated! :(

This sounds like a case of collapsing wen, (esp. if the missing area is red & inflamed looking). This I have not dealt with before.

Ingrid at puregold thinks this is due to a staph infection:
SYMPTOM2 OF GOLDFISH AND KOI
(last paragraph on the link)

The suggestion is to clean the wen with peroxide twice a day (you would need to sedate the fish for this), and feed antibiotic food. And of course clean water is mandatory. Personally, I think the salt is a good thing as well.

I see no inflammation or redness yet. I would need instruction on sedating a fish, as I have not experienced this process. I really appreciate the help! :)

I usually just try a salt bath. At 1% salt, the fish gets quite docile & can be gently handled in the water. <They will still struggle when you remove from water ... but if you are just dealing with the wen, you can gently lift the fish so only the wen is above water.>

If you have to do extensive work, then Finquel or cloves oil can be used. <Finquel is much safer ...> Instructions here:
How to Sedate a Fish with Finquel or Clove Oil | Illness and Treatment

Should I also treat the tank with an antibacterial along with the food? I have some Metronidazole handy if you think it will help- I am concerned it may spread to my other orandas, one of my reds has some white on his wen that wasn't there yesterday. I suppose I should wipe him as well with the peroxide? This is great having people to consult with! Thanks for the directions!! :)

If you are feeding antibiotic food, there is no need for it in the water. Antibiotics in the water would just mess up your biofilter ...

Orandas often get a bit of crud stuck on the wen and unless the wen is collapsing, is pretty harmless & will fall off on its own. Although if it bothersome, you can clean it out.

Back
Top Bottom