Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-22-2021, 08:43 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Help save my dwarf clown plec, please

HELP! My Dwarf Clown Plec had been behaving oddly by hanging about in the bubble stream of an airbrick, when normally we don't see him. We've had him 6 years and he's been quite happy. I posted a pic on Practical Fishkeeping and someone said there was a problem with his slime coat. He has been in a treatment tank for 3 days, using eSHa 2000. He's not moving much more and he looks like he's turning to stone, poor thing. This is a pic after treatment. Does anyone recognise what's wrong with him?
What can I do?? Do I have to resort to the oil of death? 🥺😢
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	woodyplec sick.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	319437  

Old 01-22-2021, 09:17 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I read where plecos occasionally shed their slime coat and sit in the faster current, much like molting for a crustacean. Maybe it's just a growth spurt.

Old 01-22-2021, 09:31 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebankston View Post
I read where plecos occasionally shed their slime coat and sit in the faster current, much like molting for a crustacean. Maybe it's just a growth spurt.
I do hope so - his skin looks full of round holes like had acne, and he is so lethargic. All the other fish are fine
Old 01-22-2021, 09:34 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Odd. Nothing that I've ever heard of before, but could be a bacterial issue. I'll keep digging
Old 01-22-2021, 09:47 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Odd. Nothing that I've ever heard of before, but could be a bacterial issue. I'll keep digging
Thankyou - he isn't eating either. He's got loads of bogwood, and we feed him algae pellets and ground feeder pellets that the panda corys get. Maybe he needs a more varied diet - trouble is, if he's not eating that won't help
Old 01-22-2021, 09:48 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslansmum View Post
Thankyou - he isn't eating either. He's got loads of bogwood, and we feed him algae pellets and ground feeder pellets that the panda corys get. Maybe he needs a more varied diet - trouble is, if he's not eating that won't help
P.S. can you see the picture OK?
Old 01-22-2021, 09:52 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Thanks - can you see the picture OK. If you blow it up you can see.
He isn't eating, so I can't even tempt him with fresh veg or anything. He has his bog wood and algae pellets, and sometimes the pellets that we feed to our panda corys
Old 01-22-2021, 10:17 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm sure his diet is fine. That's pretty varied. And yes, the pic is good. Your right, he doesn't look really good
Old 01-22-2021, 10:19 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you know your water parameters? And what were his tankmates?
Old 01-22-2021, 10:24 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are you in the uk? Where it's hard to get antibiotics?
Old 01-22-2021, 11:34 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Are you in the uk? Where it's hard to get antibiotics?
Yes I am in the UK. Temp is 26C, pH6.4, very low KH & GH (we have very soft water). 200L tank with natural plants. 10-20% water change each week. We have panda corys, rummy nose tetras, copper harlequins and 5 banded barbs (not tiger barns). The pandas have bred quite often, but not in the last year. Our filter is external an Aquamanta EFX300, and we have 2 airstones.
Sadly Woody has passed away, but I would love to find out what was wrong with him. Ive done a skin scraping and looked under the microscope, and all I can see are amoebae type creatures and coccobacilli, which could be in the water anyway.
If you can offer any more insight I would be very grateful, but unfortunately it's too late for Woody
Old 01-22-2021, 12:31 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm sorry about the loss. It sounds, from the speed, like an internal bacterial infection. So many of those the afflict aquarium fish, and by the time we see signs it's generally too late. Maybe feeding him food laced with a broad spectrum antibiotic would have worked, but he wasn't eating anyway. And your antibiotic availability is pretty limited

Tags
clown, dwarf, plec

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com