HELP! Swim bladder khuli loach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keke89

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all

I have a khuli loach that has been lying and swimming on his side for 5 days now, and sometimes on his back.
He is still in the quarantine tank with his 2 other khuli loaches. They are super healthy ,... I had a 4th one but found him behind the couch one day, he jumped.

They have been in the little tank fully cycled by the way. Amm 0 nitrite 0 and nitrate under 5. I do every other day a little water change about 20%.

They have been in the tank 15liter for about 3 weeks, and now I am moving them to my 60 liter tomorrow. But what do I do with the one khuli loach that can't swim?

I tried to find answers on the Internet to cure him but there is nothing. I read somewhere to euthanize would be the most humane thing to do.

I am not sure if I should maybe put him in a breeder net in the Main tank and just see how things go another couple of days, is there something I can try, before just euthanizing?

Appreciate any help, thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice love loving my fish !!!

DO NOT EUTHANIZE THE FISH!!! I had a Cory once who had swim bladder disease, I just let him sit for a few days, and he ended up being fine. Just wait and see what happens. Another possible disease is the Whirling Disease. One of my Cories also had that, and she unfortunately died, but in this case there is really nothing you can do. Look up videos, and if this is the case, then separate the fish immediately because it is caused by parasites and the fish can be contagious to other fish, so if this is the whirling disease, just put the fish in a separate container with an air stone. It might survive, but there is no medication for this disease. If it's just swim bladder, let it sit and it might have a chance. What I did that may have helped the fish was when I took him out in a net, he might have been able to get some air out because he was always floating and then after that I put him back in and he was fine. I hope that your fish lives and will be happy! Good luck,

Nils

I checked out whirling decease and it could be it but I really think it is the swim bladder cause he will move slightly by making use of his head moving in a upward motion. He lies for the most part of the day on his side and back, but every now and again he is upright. So he is trying.

Thank you Nils.

Hi all, khuli doing so much better. The only thing he is struggling with now is a bent neck. He is able to balance himself up right now, but the head is kinda bent to the left side making it difficult to move like the others. There is a clear kink in the neck.

Back
Top Bottom