Help trying to save fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Says 20 in your post

Edit: okay I'm half asleep saw you upgraded to a 60, but 10 gallon water changes is not optimal for discus as you have to keep the nitrate at literally <5

Working on the nitrate issue now and will fix it once I get to low numbers. Discuss I have had for 6 months now with no issues. They actually do the best it seems out of all fish. Water is roughly 80-81 most of the time:

Bubblers and water moving

Attachments

• 4D3D6AD7-930C-4ABD-AA4B-0D5B54B3BB1A.jpg
    4D3D6AD7-930C-4ABD-AA4B-0D5B54B3BB1A.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 7E0124D3-8660-4F45-A33E-539F88CB1FA1.jpg
    7E0124D3-8660-4F45-A33E-539F88CB1FA1.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 27
I started with a 20 and did well so went with a 60 gallon corner tank.
Yeah I changed it saw you stepped up, but you really need to research discus care, they are super hard to keep, I've been keeping fish for 8 years - plants 1.5) years and I wouldn't even venture into the realm of discus [emoji23]

Discus are beautiful fish but require "sometimes" big daily water changes, they aren't like your average fish where you can do 10% here and there.

And that Denison barb needs a group also, I wouldn't go back to the lfs if they gave me the information they gave you.

I have a guy near my house who has a garage full of these discuss and he told me they just won’t grow huge but it won’t harm them my current way. If you want them to grow huge then daily major water changes and lots of food. Same with angel fish kind of. But 6 months so far and they seem to be thriving well.

I have a guy near my house who has a garage full of these discuss and he told me they just won’t grow huge but it won’t harm them my current way. If you want them to grow huge then daily major water changes and lots of food. Same with angel fish kind of. But 6 months so far and they seem to be thriving well.
No they will stunt and die

There are two in there and several other types of barns. They really like the bubblers and current it creates but seem to act normal. Those are my first two fish I bought over a year ago. 3 times their original size.

There are two in there and several other types of barns. They really like the bubblers and current it creates but seem to act normal. Those are my first two fish I bought over a year ago. 3 times their original size.
I understand, 60 gallon is fine for 2 discus, but some people say you need a minimum of 6 as they are cichlids and show less aggression in a bigger group, but I've seen people only have 2, but you also have a Denison barb that needs a school of 6+ so they don't become timid, Denison barbs can get up to 5.9-6"

I know it sounds like I'm critiquing your tank but I'm really not, I'm simply just trying to explain to you that what you have in your tank right now are schooling fish that need bigger groups, thus meaning that you'll need a bigger tank with 3 x filtration, especially for the Denison barbs as they have to have oxygen rich faster flowing water.

This barb is not timid at all. Both discuss were local bred and they are super mellow even my two angels are mellow. But also my plan was to perfect this 60 gallon tank which I goofed already, then move to the 125 gallon corner tank. So I hope to perfect this tank in the next two months, then maintain for 3 more months to make sure I have verything dialed then get the large and final 125 gallons tank.

Absolutely I appreciate all the insight:
I am absorbing like a sponge and just what I am learning from this help post is awesome. I made some idiot mistakes but am learning from them and will succeed. It’s tough out there asking fish stores opinions because they want to sell you those $200 fish.

This barb is not timid at all. Both discuss were local bred and they are super mellow even my two angels are mellow. But also my plan was to perfect this 60 gallon tank which I goofed already, then move to the 125 gallon corner tank. So I hope to perfect this tank in the next two months, then maintain for 3 more months to make sure I have verything dialed then get the large and final 125 gallons tank.
125 would be perfect then you can stick whatever you want, 6 discus, 6-8 Denison's, some smaller tight schoaling tetras for dither fish, very heavily planted so you're not doing 50% water changes daily.

Absolutely I appreciate all the insight:
I am absorbing like a sponge and just what I am learning from this help post is awesome. I made some idiot mistakes but am learning from them and will succeed. It’s tough out there asking fish stores opinions because they want to sell you those $200 fish.
Then I would find a new lfs, with my lfs I can go in and just chill out and talk to them and they don't try to sell me anything, unfortunately not all lfs are like this, it'll be a few min before I can reply again I have to go get something for my headache. Be back soon

So i seen my fishes hiding a lot I didn’t know why. So I change the water to 25% then found out my temperature was 75 F . So that’s only problem fix , then I quickly add hot water coz it’s 75F. Fish was shocked. One dish died the day after . :( sad . Just fixed my heater . Do u know how long the shock will be back to normal . Fish is in shock yesturday

Why would you do that? 75° is okay for most fish, what you should of did was when doing your water change increase the new water going in by 1-2 degrees which would of brought the tank up to around 76-77°, (unless your keeping discus or warm water fish) then what you should have done was float warm water bottles in the tank to bring the temp up slowly.
If you have not had any more loses I would say the shock is over

There's a lot of misconception about discus. They don't need bare bottom tanks. They don't need large daily water changes. They don't need acidic water. What they do need is stability in water parameters. If you got a planted tank with substrate and your nitrates are under 40 ppm then it's fine for discus. If you can keep these water parameters for a week then you can do weekly water changes.

I think where people get the idea that discus are hard to keep is when they don't differentiate between wild caught and tank bred. Or when they are talking about growing out discus which requires frequent large water changes and multiple feedings a day. An adult discus, 4 inches or bigger, doesn't need the same type of care as a juvenile.

6 discus in a 125g tank is very conservative. Discus should be kept in a 4 foot tank minimum. And plan on 10-15 gallons per discus. I'd say you could keep 4 discus in a 60g tank and don't overstock with other fish.

There's a lot of misconception about discus. They don't need bare bottom tanks. They don't need large daily water changes. They don't need acidic water. What they do need is stability in water parameters. If you got a planted tank with substrate and your nitrates are under 40 ppm then it's fine for discus. If you can keep these water parameters for a week then you can do weekly water changes.

I think where people get the idea that discus are hard to keep is when they don't differentiate between wild caught and tank bred. Or when they are talking about growing out discus which requires frequent large water changes and multiple feedings a day. An adult discus, 4 inches or bigger, doesn't need the same type of care as a juvenile.

6 discus in a 125g tank is very conservative. Discus should be kept in a 4 foot tank minimum. And plan on 10-15 gallons per discus. I'd say you could keep 4 discus in a 60g tank and don't overstock with other fish.
I was referring to the op having Denison's as well as they get huge as well, but yes your right wild caught are way harder to keep than tank raised but the lower the nitrates the better.

I kind of got this same info from my source.
Mine were tank bred and have been fine even with my recent crazy numbers so far. The plan was by the time they are adult they will be retiring in a 125 gallon tank this year.

I kind of got this same info from my source.

Mine were tank bred and have been fine even with my recent crazy numbers so far. The plan was by the time they are adult they will be retiring in a 125 gallon tank this year.
What I should have said is if you did the proper groups of Denison's (6+)/discus(4+) the 60 would need water changes daily as the bioload would be through the roof.

I'd hate to be your bank account though that's for sure [emoji23][emoji23], I saw some beautiful golden Denison's a week Or so ago but wow, $50.00 each

Back
Top Bottom