Help with Ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lexilove

Aquarium Advice Freak
So about 3 weeks ago my tank was completely healthy until I decided to get the fish I have been literally cooling over. I got 2 kissing gourami from petsmart 2 weeks ago not realizing that they had ich. I realized it about an hour after putting them in so I immediately removed them. It was already to late though, now all my fish are sick!!! I woke up at 3 am to find all of my fish with white spots, laying on the bottom of my tank and not eating when I feed them. Thank god my eel and frogs are stills to wand eating like normal also I got ich treatment and will start the process with my moms bf tomorrow. I know I am rambling but I was just really mad/sad that this is what i woke up to. especially when I saw my adorable little balloon belly laying there. :(

I am sorry you are going through this! Even the most experienced aquarists will go through ich. This however is a result of not quarantining new fish. The blanket statement to blame Petsmart is uncalled for at best.
Slowly turn your great up to 86° and add aquarium salt. Can't remember off hand how much. Search some threads.

Yeah I know I shouldn't blame them but that's just a result of me being mad. And I got some treatment stuff today I will star working on it once everyone wakes up and thank you:)

Would the temp raise be safe though? I heard that peacock eels don't like temps that high and I have one. And my tank is normally at 76-78

Lexilove said:
Would the temp raise be safe though? I heard that peacock eels don't like temps that high and I have one. And my tank is normally at 76-78

Sorry your fish are not well. From what I've read on here most people say turn up the temp, water changes & vacuuming & it'll get worse before it gets better. Can you put your eel in the QT tank so he can be treated in the manner that's best for him then the rest can be treated with the heat? Somebody with more experience may have a better suggestion.

shellieca said:
Sorry your fish are not well. From what I've read on here most people say turn up the temp, water changes & vacuuming & it'll get worse before it gets better. Can you put your eel in the QT tank so he can be treated in the manner that's best for him then the rest can be treated with the heat? Somebody with more experience may have a better suggestion.

The eels has 2 small spots on him. And I don't have a qt tank but I do have a small 1.5 g laying around but that's it. Thank you

I wouldn't raise the temp, eels hate that. I have an eel too, and when my tank got ich I used a product called Ich Attack I think. It's all natural supposedly and will not harm eels or your bio filter. It took me about a week and a half to see no spots, but I'd dose until the bottle is gone just to be sure, after all, it's not a strong medication like other ich medas

I don't remember what kind of maids I have will defiantly tell you once get them out and I wont raise the temp. I just hope nothing happens to my eel I was about to cry when saw the spots on him to I am really attached to him.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Dont worry, i think he will be ok! :) my eel was super strong, survived 2 ich outbreaks! :eek:

I agree. They are super tough fish. Mine has taken lots of crap too and is still fine :)

No offense, but I find it hard to blame any one but yourself if fish were introduced without QTing them first. I've done it plenty of times myself (and have paid the same price), but I knew that I was in fact the one to blame.

HN1 said:
No offense, but I find it hard to blame any one but yourself if fish were introduced without QTing them first. I've done it plenty of times myself (and have paid the same price), but I knew that I was in fact the one to blame.

I agree 100%

I've learned my lesson as well. I usually check every single tank first if I buy from petsmart. But it's okay, stuff happens. Your fish will be healthy again in no time :)

This hobby is all a learning experience

Reactions: HN1
Like I said earlier I know I wasn't blaming them that was just a result of me being mad and I sure hope they all survive. The brand of med is tetra I'm bout to start on this project once I get back home and I would have a qt tank but the only spare tank I have is a 1.5 g with no filter and I have no money yet cause of this so lesson learned :)

Lexilove said:
Like I said earlier I know I wasn't blaming them that was just a result of me being mad and I sure hope they all survive. The brand of med is tetra I'm bout to start on this project once I get back home and I would have a qt tank but the only spare tank I have is a 1.5 g with no filter and I have no money yet cause of this so lesson learned :)

If you use the tetra med make sure its okay for scaleless fish

Lexilove said:

That's all part of this hobby :) the only way you can go now is up, right?
My first tank I got in March. It was already established, or so I thought! The filter had no media in it, and I wasn't knowledgeable enough to realize it needed something in it until weeks later! It had a Bala shark and a rainbow shark and a common pleco in it (only a 30g) along with a betta, various tetra and some Molly and an angelfish. Somehow most of them have survived even through my ignorance. The important thing here is that you are trying to fix your mistakes. We were all new once!

smomus said:
That's all part of this hobby :) the only way you can go now is up, right?
My first tank I got in March. It was already established, or so I thought! The filter had no media in it, and I wasn't knowledgeable enough to realize it needed something in it until weeks later! It had a Bala shark and a rainbow shark and a common pleco in it (only a 30g) along with a betta, various tetra and some Molly and an angelfish. Somehow most of them have survived even through my ignorance. The important thing here is that you are trying to fix your mistakes. We were all new once!

Right! And my first tank was a 3 g! With 2 mollies and no filter! I didn't know that there was something wrong with that until much later. I will check and see if it is and I didn't think of that thanks:) and I'm doing my best to fix this thank y'all :)

Well i recently learned the hard way wit my fairly new saltwater tank. Lost 3 clowns to a disease of some sort. Anyway def have to get a qt going. I was fortunate i had a spare 29 gal lying around. Have to qt all new purchases whether its fih, snails, crabs or whatever. All them little buggers can carry parasites, fungus, and or contagious diseases. My lfs has tons of spare tanks, mostly 10 gal. As a matter of fact i got one forfree from them for a tiny turtle my kids came across. Anyway i would urge you to contact an area fih store and ask if they can help you out. It doesnt have to be anyhing fancy at all. Just a tank, filter, heater, light, and cycle it. Look at rummage sales, craigslist, or ask friends and relatives. There is tons of aquarium supplies round, not in use. And one more note. I personally dont use anything tetra brand. Especially meds. Good luck with your fish!

I am def looking for a qt and as the meds go for scaleless its half dose every 24 hours so if its 1 tab for every 10 and I have a 20 it would be one tab every 24 hours as long as it lasts? Right? Please correct me if I'm wrong also it says to do a 25% wc before every dose so and also to add slowly so I already have one tab dissolving in a cup full of my tank water then after I am done with my chores I am gonna do a wc of 25%? So much stress just for me! Wonder how the lil guys feel their the ones that are sick!

Is it normal for my tank to be humid? Ever since I got ick my tank and filter have been really humid.

Back
Top Bottom