holey fins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Loren

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just got a betta this past Monday, and put it in a brand new 5.5gal tank. He did fine the first few days, but he hasn't eaten much. I wasn't too worried until today, when he decided to hang out at the bottom of the tank under cover of a rock ornament, and only comes up for a surface gulp of air occasionally. Also noticed his fins have holes in them! Not fin rot that creeps inward from the edges, these are pin prick like holes, that appear to be growing. If he were a leaf I'd say I had bugs. Does this sound like a parasite of some sort? I have Jungle Parasite Clear on hand...I'm thinking of dosing him.

Some may say fin rot, some may say mineral/vitamin deficiency, probably the deficiency causing the rot or holes.

Use some bettamax for your guy to fix & replenish him. It's kinda blended antibiotic with vitamins. Not too harsh.

ALso make sure he gets vitamin and mineral enriched foods.

And double check your water parameters; while he hasn't been in there that long there still may be a build up of ammonia or other nitrogenous waste. That too could be part of the problem.

Water tested a little high for NH3 yesterday (between 0.5 and 1.0 ppm) so I did a 10% water change. I just tested and it's up again so I'll do another now. I'm giving him these little betta pellets, but he's not eating...I have to skim out. I'll try him with some frozen blood worms.

What gets me is HOW FAST his fins are deteriorating! It's alarming, really. I'd like to know what caused this...fins don't just fall apart, do they?

I can go get some bettamax tomorrow, but if this turns out to be parasitic, can I treat for that at the same time as the bettamax?

I doubt its parasites; generally only bacterial infections move this quickly. Which bacteria I'm not sure, but you need to treat him quickly.

You'll need to do a major water change, 40-50%. The NH3 is definitely stressing him and is part of the reason his immune system is weakened.

I'd get some of the Bettamax ASAP and start treating with it.

Thanks for helping so quickly. I just did a 35 - 40% change. I have some Maracyn on hand (I've used it for fin rot before with success). Perhaps I should go with that now(?), and then add some bettamax once that's going. If I understand what I've read so far, bettamax helps heal, but it doesn't kill bacteria (?). I'll get some of that tomorrow.

Bettamax (not Bettafix which may be what you are thinking of) does contain antibiotics as well as antifungals: 250 mg capsules of water soluble nitrofurazone, methylene blue, PVP, vitamins, NaCl, sulfas: methazine, diazine and merazine. Not sure what PVP is, but the nitrofurazone and the sulfas are antibiotics.

I'm not sure what to suggest tho; your guy needs treatment ASAP; at the same time you don't want to mix meds. I think a full course of Maracyn, or at least a few days to see if it makes a diff. If not, then switch to BettaMax, but make sure you remove all the Maracyn from the tank (water changes and a carbon filter will do the job). This way the poor guy doesn't have to wait any longer.

Thanks Allyvimar. That's what I'm doing...I've given a dose of Maracyn, and tomorrow will get Maracyn 2 as well...get both gram +/- that way. And I'll get some bettamax, also. Keep it handy, especially if the M's don't work.

He's looking a little better now, too. I think I'll do a 10-25% change daily for a bit and keep a real close eye on those NH3/NO2 &3 levels.

And just to add a special twist... I think maybe he's got some ich. I can't tell for sure, but there looks like there could be a couple specks around his face. Can I use Quick Cure at the same time as an antibiotic? (I have found that if I can get QC into my tank at the first spot, the ich hasn't a chance).

Clean fresh treated water is always the first step in treating disease; its likely the reduction in nitrogeous waste is making him feel better. Now for the antibiotics to do their job :)

However, you really don't want to mix meds. While Maracyn and Maracyn2 are made to work together, adding an ich med is not a great idea. Could be too much and could kill him. I'd finish the antibiotics first before doing the ich meds if thats at all possible. Normally I'd suggest using the heat treatment, but high temps can make bacterial infections worse. Youp might want to look into the salt treatment instead; should be ok short term for a betta.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom