Horrific disaster Help to figure what went wrong

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
For a few weeks it has seemed there was a bacterial infection in the fish tank, I used salt, 1 TSP per gal. Then Epsom salt at a rate of 1 tbl per 10 gaL.

After not getting any positive result. I used Maracyn-2 at a rate of 1 packet per 10 gallons, doubled for the first day. So 14 packets for a 72G tank plus a few gallons in the Fluval FX-5.

Administered yesterday early afternoon.

This morning, getting ready to walk out the door for work, debated for a minute about whether to leave the light on, decided not to, but to turn it on to check the fish before I left.

I will spare most of the awful details, but numerous sideways fish , my two giant 7 inch Siamese Algae eaters both dead, Koi angel dead, misc blue tetras, Amano shrimp dead.

My huge Charcoal grey Red Tail Shark almost white, splotched with grey, normally bright red tail, clear, not red, and mostly sideways in a bad way.

All the fish were trying to be near the top of the water.

The filter was running fine, blasting out water.

Did emergency water change adding new water for the first 25 gallons till the existing fish perked up and seemed better. Adding maximum amount of Prime.

Did the pwc of about 50% more.

Was gone for a short day at work got back 6 hours later, all the fish were at the top of the tank again, looking sad.

Did emergency 75% pwc also checked water while waiting for it to drain,.

Temp is 80F now was appx 78F before
Had no ammonia,
0 Nitrites,
10 Nitrates - For sure could have been higher

pH was 6.2/6.4 haven't checked that for over a month or so, so I can't guess what it was before this happened, but over a month ago was appx. 7.2 pH. It normally runs in the 7-7.2 range in the winter when the water company starts using a different reserve reservoir then as the snow pack melts they go back to the normal one which is around 6.4 ish.

Maybe 5 days ago I did a pwc.

Added the maximum of Prime, and left the water level lower in the tank so the infow from the filter will bubble like a monster, plus added the extra air pump before I got the water level down lower.

Tank is appx 2/3 full of water now and it appears that the fish seem to be behaving more like normal.

So I am guessing I killed of all my BB even though the package said when used as directed it wouldn't harm the biological filter.

Was it the combination of Epsom salts with it?

The directions didn't say anything about anything like that.

Back to the original illness.

There were a couple fish which had the fat lip look to them. No fuzzy stuff, so wondered if it was Columnaris. There was only one fish that died other than the three Von Rio Tetras which probably brought in whatever it is.

The fish seemed to be breathing faster than normal. The Blue Gourami has been bloated for a little while, maybe two weeks, seemed to be getting rounder so maybe actually 3 weeks. But didn't look too bad till about a week ago.

Two weeks ago with held food for a couple days, didn't help, changed food for a few days, fed different foods like
dried Brine shrimp one day, Dried soaked Tubiflex worms one day, treated the tank to live brine shrimp last week, no change.

So I figured internal bacterial infection, since hadn't had a bunch of fish die (like Columnaris), and it didn't appear there were any stringy or clear or white poop issues. The only fish which seemed to look bad is the Blue Gourami, bloated.

Other than breathing faster than normal, all the fish seemed to eat and behave as usual.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I want to avoid killing any additional fish, of course, but I would also like to figure out what went wrong and how to get them better.

They seemed better when I went to work yet 6 hours later they looked at deaths door again.

Your pH was normally at around 7.0/7.2 and now it's at 6.2/6.4? That could most def be the problem if I understood that correctly???

I mean...it sounds like there are a slew of problems you're dealing with. A pH crash could have been the reason for those overnight deaths.
I don't know what to tell you about the bloating.
My honest advice right now..would be to chill with the meds and salt and focus on water quality. No humongous water changes daily though. Just test the water and try and make it as pristine as possible. I'll try and think about this though because I know what it's like to not know what's going on or what to do.
Currently I'm having an issue with my Severum and I just cannot figure out what it is.

Thanks. I am sorry to hear you are having a problem too.:(

The pH should be in low 6.2/6.4 but in winter goes up around January or so depending on the mountain water table.

I will run a test out of the tap and see, just was too frantic before!

So just did a regular pH and a high pH. Got the same number 7.4 pH

That would be about where it was over a month ago.

So my pretty significantly lower number this afternoon does seem to be a problem!

I am going to test the tank again.

Tank is right about 6.9 pH between the two color blocks. I will watch the fish and check it again in a few hours!

Why did u double the dose of medicine? Did I understand that right?

"INSTRUCTIONS: First Day, add the contents of 2 packets per 10 gallons of water, second through fifth day, add 1 packet per 10 gallons of water." etc.

In using this medication twice before, I never had any problem like this.

So last night I checked the pH and it was 6.7
and this morning it is less than 6.4, a yellow to yellow green, so maybe 6.2?

Any ideas about what to do, other than some more water changes?

Add more medication?

Well it sounds like something is making the pH swing dramatically overnight. pH swings like that are horribly stressful on fish. You said your water conditions depend on the water table in Colorado right? Maybe there are fluctuations in your tap water.

I wouldn't add medication because it will only stress the fish out more and probably do more harm than good at this point because of the pH swings you're experiencing. I think you need to figure out how to stabilize your pH first and foremost.

List everything you're adding to your water please. Something is crashing your pH. I really hope other ppl chime in lol. I need backup!

What was in my tank

Normally I put in Prime only as water treatment.

oops I hit the "post" button, I am adding the info now

I will finish editing and save in a minute

I used only Prime as water treatment chemical.

Previously I have used Flourish but not since March and I ran out and deciding on a new type to use which was good to use with dwarf shrimp too.

Use Stemma capsule ferts, Stemma and Rosetta. I have been using these for over a year and never a problem and not over dosing, again it has been since a month after I set up the tank, maybe around first week of April, I added them, they feed for around 2 months.

A few weeks ago I added salt up to around 3/4-maybe up to 1 tsp per gallon of Mineral natural salt, Orso mineral salt. I have been using this salt for three years, when I use salt in my aquarium.

I added the week before 1 TBL of Epsom Salt (nothing added like perfumes, just Epsom salt).

Maybe 10 days ago did pwc and added back salt to the water, that was a few days before the epsom salts.

Maracyn-2 as directed...

That was all.

On Emergency day, only used Prime. No salt.

The first day at the end on the second water change I added two TBL of Stress Coat. That was all I had left in the bottle.

Yesterday after reading that low kH can allow water to not having enough buffer, crash, I added a chunk of cuddlebone, scrapped into powdered form, stirred in, as I had to leave for work and that was the best thing I could find.

Last night the water was around 6.4 maybe 6.5, this morning it is at 6.4 pH

JUST DID A kH TEST AND IT DIDN'T TURN BLUE JUST MORE YELLOW after only one drop. That says below 17.9 ppm kH

GH took 7 drops to start it to turn and 8 drops made it green, so between the two would be about 138 ppm

Other than what the chart says, I am not sure what to do with this info. It seems the water doesn't have enough kH for the regular fish.

Fish Stock / 72G Tank

Fish now in 72G

Giant red tail shark 7+ inches

3 Koi Angels Sacagawea dollar size (1) two a little bigger not quite dollar coin size

big Powder Blue Gourami 6"

6 young adult guppies, smaller kind mixed with Endlers and Snakeskin Cobra.

2 adult blackskirts

5 Harlequin Rasboras

1 3" Neon Sword

Mystery snails 3 adults and 30 BB to green pea size

a few RH snails

a Purple Spot Gudgeon/Goby 3"

1 stray Neon

5 Blue Tetra

Eco Complete substrate

DW Lots of plants

Fluval FX-5

77-78F

60074-albums11380-picture52489.jpg

I just went through a Ph emergency in my tank. Id like to offer you what advice my local fish expert gave me that saved my tank and fish:

Because I was doing monthly water changes in stead of weekly water changes, my nitrates skyrocketed which made the Ph so LOW my Platys, danios and Corys suddenly became deathly ill with a bacterial infection (popeye and slimy white bubbly stuff) over night following a water change.

The emergency treatment was to add 1 tablespoon of aq. salt per gallon, bump temp up to 78 degrees.

To RAISE Ph:
add 1/8 teaspoon per gallon - per day - ARM & HAMMER Baking Soda. (Must use Arm and Hammer brand) until Ph is 7.0. The arm and hammer baking soda buffers the Ph, unlike chemicals, so the Ph is stable.

All freshwater fish can tolerate 1 TBS. Aquarium salt per gallon to treat disease. All my fish survived, and my Pleco, Cory's and even a tiny baby neon I have in a breeder box all tolerated the salt.

Salt will be lowered with weekly water changes.

For the OP-
Light Salt, and grab something to buffer your PH, whether it be a bag of crushed coral, live sand, chips, etc, just not chemical PH products. Once you stabilize the PH, even if it's slightly lower/higher than what they are used to, along with daily/double daily partial water changes, HOPEFULLY everything in there can survive. Theres also a chance that the PH swing is really crashing your O2 saturation in the tank, so a bubble wand/stone wouldn't hurt for the short term. God luck my friend.

All freshwater fish can tolerate 1 TBS. Aquarium salt per gallon to treat disease. All my fish survived, and my Pleco, Cory's and even a tiny baby neon I have in a breeder box all tolerated the salt.

1 TABLESPOON per gallon??
I thought the 'standard' is 1 TEASPOON per gallon except for sensitive fish where the concentration is somewhat reduced to 1 TABLESPOON per 5 gallons.

The package states 1 tbs. per 5 gallons, but my LFS expert (dealing with freshwater fish for 25 years) said that All freshwater fish can tolerate 1 tbs per gallon to treat symptoms. I was scared too, but I had an emergency two weeks ago, and ended up having to treat my entire 75 gal. Tank, ALL my fish survived. I have a Pleco, Cory's, tetras, hatchets, Platys also survived were 4 newborn platy fry I found during salted tank and a baby neon tetra! He told me before chemicals, always salt the tank 1 tbs/per gallon till symptoms go away. Water changes as needed. The water changes will eventually remove the salt. I had a Ph problem which caused my emergency, and to RAISE and buffer your Ph, he prescribed ARM & HAMMER Baking soda, 1/8 tsp per gallon per day until the Ph was 7 again. So from personal experience, with my fish and tank, the salt cured the fish in this instance, and the baking soda raised the Ph.

Not as a standard to keep fish in forever. For a TBL/Gallon.

Using salt, it is recommended to add the amount to that concentration gradually over a day or two for that concentration, and also additional oxygen.

Correct, not as a permanent ratio. 1 tbs aq. Salt every gallon is only for treatment. Do weekly water changes. Permanent ratio can be 1 tbs per 5 gallons. But of course know your fish and their own parameters for extended periods.

One thing you can do to find your taps true Ph is to set it out overnight before testing it my taps Ph drops .4 after sitting out for a day.

Back
Top Bottom