How in the heck do I get them to eat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missgraceless

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a pair of red eared sliders. With the exception of romaine lettuce and a certain kind of pellet, they will not try anything else that I have provided. Is there a way that I can expose them to new foods that will be more appealing? Do your turtles have favorite foods? I have read so many articles that my information is becoming convoluted.
Thanks so much!
Hannah

Do your turtles have favorite foods?

I have a pair and they are very stubborn, and won't hardly eat vegatation, which they should be eating more of at their age/size.

I'm no expert, but in my experience, yes, they do have favorite foods and I've yet to be able to find a way to get them to eat more variety.

What age/size are yours?

The rule is, higher protein (worms, small fish etc.) when they are young, more vegatation (leafy veggies, fruits, etc.) when older.

With that said, mine are just about full grown, and still just want worms and their favorite high protein pellets.

They are relatively young; the pet store did not know exactly. The smaller is about five inches in length, and the larger is a bit longer.

Apple, carrot, chicken, a frozen combination block and a type of pellet have been rejected so far. Should I just keep putting in different foods and monitoring their choices?

That's what I would do, with the same disclaimer that I'm no expert.

But mine are healthy and I've had them several years now.

Back
Top Bottom