How Long After Death does Necropsy Need to be Performed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lratledge

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I lost my beloved 2+ year old Oranda Fancy Goldfish after a vet botched his wen trimming - poor guy was blinded by his wen for the last two weeks.

I am so angry at myself for trusting the vet. As I was trying to revive him before he died, his belly (especially the lower part) felt very, very soft. During the procedure the vet had to place him in non medicated water to revive him as he'd stopped breathing altogether. This took about 10 mins. She then trimmed a little more & he was swimming fine in his recovery bucket.

We came home & rested for a few hours. Then I placed him gently in his tank and he seemed quite disoriented - perhaps because he could finally see? I noticed he started having buoyancy issues & immediately removed him from the tank & returned him back to his isolation bucket used to transport him to the vet. Yes, I had an airpump & stone providing bubbles in the bucket. Puffy couldn't keep his normal position even in the bucket & was rolling to the sides or upside down. Within an hour he was no longer respirating, despite me holding him in the correct horizontal position.

The vet had injected him with a pain med & anti inflammatory, then sedated him with Tricaine-S immersion anesthetic. Could either of these contributed to what seemed like swim bladder issues right before his death?

The vet today called & offered a necropsy but I'm wondering since she doesn't specialize in fish (and this was her first wen trim), how would she even know what to look for? He's been submerged now for nearly 24 hours & is bloated now. I'm inclined to forego the necropsy & bury him intact.

Wishing I would have done the procedure myself using oil of clove and I'd still have my sweet puffy. Appreciate anyone's advice on the necropsy as well as what might have gone wrong.

TIA
lratledge:confused:

Back
Top Bottom