I got a Jumper!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. Breeze

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 29 Gal w/ (4) T5 on top. I don't have a lid, because it is such a hassle when feeding, trimming, adding water etc. I have lost Rasboras, SAE's in the past at night when they seem to want to jump out of the water.

Last night, one of my angels decide to take a trip and ended up dried out on the floor. I had no idea an angel was into jumping at night. Am I just naive? Do I really need go back and put a lid on my tank?

Please share your experiences and opinions.

Thanks, Mr. Breeze

Last edited:
Unfortunately, you have the victims to prove the importance of a lid / cover. Fish don't know that leap of faith will turn into a religious experience. If it isn't a jumper, it's the unsafe,toxic, nasty stuff that somehow manages to fly a perfect trajectory into ones tank.

I run all open top planted tanks I've lost a few fish here and there but i employ floating plants that cut back on jumping/skittishness. I have splash tetras and marble hatchetfish in one tank who are notorious jumpers so for their tanks I use egg crating to shield their tanks but yet keeps that open top feel. You can find it sold in sheets in any home improvement store just cut it to the size you want and keep those adventurous fish in your tanks.

I'm sorry you lost your angelfish, but a jumping angel is an exception rather than the rule. Out of all the tanks in the house and fishroom, about 75 of them are open top, completely uncovered (I do use eggcrate on a few but didn't count those as open). It's pretty darn rare that I have a fish jump out. I also use floating plants in a lot of tanks, but a lot of them I don't. I'd chalk this up to rotten luck, honestly.

Back
Top Bottom