I need tips on discus :/

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomCarter13

Aquarium Advice Activist
I started keeping discus 3 weeks ago after 3 months of having some time to research and prepare the tank for them (the tank was already cycled before then, its almost been 6 months of that tank being cycled) once i got them, all i had was problems ever since day 1. Aggression, sickness symptoms, stress and loss in colour and i feel its just one after the other. My tank is planted and all the fish are 3-3.5" and i clean 50% a week (monday= 25%, Friday= 25%) and my water parameters are:

Ph:7.2
Am: 0ppm
Nitri:0ppm
Nitra : 5ppm

I always prepare new water before i put in the new tank aswell.

I'm just sick of the stress. Before i bought them i was told that 5-6 fish are ideal because of a pecking order and they like to school and how apparently they are schooling fish :| well mine aren't very peaceful to watch. I swear one of my discus wants to eat the other. Some days are worse than others though.

It all makes me feel frustrated and upset and sometimes regretful. Its honestly not fun to see something unhappy and not knowing what to do :/

But despite the negatives they are all eating and thoroughly enjoy everything i feed them and when i come up to the tank the come say hi (they want food lol) and they aren't very skittish and they aren't being lethargic either.

But every time i bought one of the discus they would scratch :| they would scratch on their gills and i know that means bad stuff (possible ich, flukes, etc) but my temp is at 86 and i put some salt in and it goes?! Also the alpha ( pigeon blood) did this when i first git him and he's the healthiest! His gills are working perfectly hes colourful, his fins are up and he's always out to say hello whilst the piggiest and aggressive SOMETIMES but no one messes with him! The blue leopard is next in line as he eats so much! And he also comes out alot but he is slightly dark in colour in the centre but he is the most aggressive! He is the one that beats up the 2 blue diamonds all the time! When i first bought the 2 blues about a week ago now they were perfect happy electric blues Now they are slightly darker to :( i feel so upset from taking them from their old happy home to bringing them to my aggressive type tank! Someone please give me advise and tips!!!! And tell me how to make them happier and will all this aggression die down after a good lot of weeks? And will they get along after it? Pleeeeeeease help!!!

Back
Top Bottom