I think I've got Neon Tetra Disease...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bluerose

Aquarium Advice FINatic
in my tank.

Lost one neon a few weeks ago-- constantly bloated, large lump on it's side, towards the end the spine was curved and the little guy couldn't swim very well. He disappeared over the weekend (I assume died and was eaten).

I was crossing my fingers that it wasn't NTD, but now another neon is bloated and starting to look the same way the other one did at first.

I have one other neon (still slim and not bloated) and a glolight, as well as two cories.

My quarantine setup is... well... very much less than optimal. (My QT tank has turned into a betta tank... I was taking care of him for a couple of weeks and ended up keeping him and the tank he was in is no good for any size fish.) However I don't want to euth the fish, either, in case it isn't NTD.

I've heard there's some treatments that may work and that there is no treatment-- so far the fish is bright and lively still, and from what I've seen if NTD is there, it's likely all of my tetras have it... so it's worth treating for I think.

Suggestions? Cranking up the temp works for ich parasites-- would it perhaps help with the parasite that causes NTD? Any anti-parasitic treatment suggestions?

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I see that no one has posted. Maybe I'll help by bumping back to top. How are things going? I thought I had NTD several weeks ago when I lost two Neons. Thankfully no more losses, but I'm not replacing the Neons. I've had nothing but bad luck with those guys.

So far there's no change really...

I'm heavily considering switching to another schooling fish (no livebearers though! augh!) except then I have a couple of fish to find new homes for.

I don't want to take them to my usual LFS if they may have NTD... that's just not fair IMHO. The owner's excellent and actually gives good advice.

bah...

Back
Top Bottom