Ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ringfinger

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently had a problem with Ich, so I read the entire "Ich article", followed the treatment plan, and I thought that I had it beat. This seemed to work for a while and I didn't lose any fish for a while, but then it came back. At the moment I only have one fish left, but he seems to have the beginnings of Ich as well. So my question is, if there are no fish in the tank, will the Ich just die by itself in a couple days while it is in the Theront stage? And if so, should I just up the temp to about 82 and let it go for a few days without fish? I'm wondering if it will continue to live in the filter, drift wood, or gravel. Thanks.

[center:13a485bd8c] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, ringfinger!! :n00b: [/center:13a485bd8c]
How long did you keep up the ich treatment after the ich disappeared from the fish?
As for letting the tank sit without fish, I would up the salt and heat and allow the tank to remain empty for two weeks. Here is something I wrote on ich last year.

I ran the treatment for 72 hours(3 treatments) after the last white spot disapeared with 25% water changes between treatments. It has been about a week, but has reappeared. I will try the temp and salt for a couple weeks this time.

Thanks

ran the treatment for 72 hours(3 treatments)
What do you consider 1 treatment? As I see it, a treatment is the heat to 86*F and a tablespoon of salt per gal. If a PWC is done, then the salt is replaced. After the ich is no longer visible on the fish, the treatment needs to continue for a minimum of two weeks.

Oh ya, sorry. The only treatment I did before was with the medication you get at the store. That is what I tried 3 times. I will go with the salt and temp at 86 for a couple weeks. Thanks for your help.

be sure to get the media out of your filter before treatment. you can only kill them after they fall off the fish. they do not live without hosts. they are like fleas.

Back
Top Bottom