Ich and Fin Rot on Cardinal Tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pyro9097

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

Just looking for further advice, commiseration, and tips for the future.

I had picked up ten cardinal tetras from a LFS a few weeks ago. Three were killed by a filter, so I removed that one, but still have an AC 30 running in the tank. I believe that they have developed Ich after the new fish were introduced. Because of my work schedule I was not able to get to the LFS and could only get to a Petco, where the only med for Ich they had was a herbal preparation. I noticed that one of the fish was also missing his tail fin, so I picked up some Melafix to see if that would help. I dosed the tank for three days with these medicines. Yesterday (Monday) I was able to get to my LFS and get Ich-X (On the house because I obviously got it from that store). I have stopped giving the Melafix and the herbal med that was doing nothing. The Activated charcoal from my filter has been removed. I have read about the life cycle of Ich and know that the meds are only effective in the free swimming stage. Below is the requested information:

- Currently there are 8 cardinal tetras in the tank (2 are very sick and looking like they may go the same way as the other two from the set of ten).
- Ammo 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 10 Temp 82 (Have been increasing from 74 over the last few days) pH 7.4
-25 gallon bow front tank with about 22-23 gallons of water in it. It completed its fishless cycle about 2 weeks ago.
- I performed a 25% pwc yesterday to remove some of the herbal med before starting Ich-X
- 7 of the fish have been the tank for 2 weeks and 3 had been in for one week.
- I do not know if the two that died were from the first or second batch.
- In addition to the three new fish, I also changed the centerpiece of the tank from a fake rock to a piece of driftwood. I wasn't able to actually boil it, just pour boiling water over it and let it sit in that (done about 15 times), so some tannins have leeched. It doesn't really bother me and was under the impression that it wouldn't bother the fish either.
- Right now I just feed a flake food, I had planned on adding more variety next week, as I had planned on picking up some cory cats mid-next week.

I plan on dosing the Ich-X twice daily for 5 days (the bottle will run out then) or should I only do once daily for 10 days? I'm gonna keep the temp at 82, or should I keep bringing it up like 2 degrees a day? I've been feeding very lightly, i though I saw that somewhere but not sure. Also the LFS said no pwc once the treatment has been started but the bottle says to do one before every dose, please advise!!

Thanks all in advance!

Just an update and further request for help. Now down to 5 tetras, they seem to be losing their color and seeming eating less. I am afraid to get new fish because of the ich but don't want the little guys to be stressed by the others disappearing and not coming back. :( pretty much at a loss.

Any ideas for fish I could add that May be hardier that would help des tress the cardinals?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Water changes are good thing, medication can be a very bad thing... did you try just using Epsom or aquarium salts, don't raise the temperature any more, and doing small daily water changes? Also, is your tank heavily planted?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Water changes are good thing, medication can be a very bad thing... did you try just using Epsom or aquarium salts, don't raise the temperature any more, and doing small daily water changes? Also, is your tank heavily planted?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I had to travel to DC for work, so I did a 30%WC the day before I left and then another 50% when I got home Monday night. Now there is only 1 cardinal left

The tank is lightly planted, I was not doing small water changes. during that time. Regardless, there is carbon back in the filter to remove any extra medication floating around and there is only one fish left in the tank. On Monday night and yesterday I did not notice any white spots on the little buddy, but I think there might be some small white dots on the fins today. I'm not sure if I should just euthanize this one fish, do a 100% water change with an intense gravel vacuum and start all over with hardier fish after re-increasing the heat and letting it sit for 2 weeks with no fish... Pretty much at a loss here :banghead:

Any other suggestions/ ideas of the likelihood of this being a recurring ich infection?

Sorry to hear about your losses. Cardinals can be touchy.

Increasing the tank temperature can help with ich. If you have only one fish in the tank, try cranking up your thermometer to 86 F for a few days. Keeping it at 82 might actually help the fungus.

Back
Top Bottom