ich - can my fish survive the heat and salt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lauritastlouis

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 10 gallon tank with a betta, 2 albino cories, a platy, an apple (mystery?) Snail and 2 nerite snails. The Berta is a newbie and lo n behold I noticed rih on him today. I can't Medicare because of the snails. Can these species withstand 86 degrees? Already the tank is around 80 so its not a huge jump. What about the salt? I had read 2 tap per gallon would be a good start. Can these species tolerate it?

Yes they can. I would advise just slowly raising the temperature to 86 and see if that works without adding the salt. There's no need to stress the fish with salt and heat when heat will probably be sufficient. At first it may appear that they get more spots but they should quickly start to lessen. Maintain the increased temperature 3 days after the last spot is gone.

Edit: Also, there is debate about corys being sensitive to salt, so there is another reason not to use it.

Cories can handle a low dose of salt but I would be worried about the snail most snails can't. Heat should be ok by itself

I know the nerite snails are okay with salt cause they only breed in brackish water
I just didn't know if they could take heat though. The apple/myster y snail is one I'm not sure about but it may be a moot point because I am beginning to suspect he might be dead :( he doesn't stink yet but he sure has been hanging out of his shell with his trap door open despite being picked up. This has gone on since lunchtime...

Mumma.of.two way!

Ich is a parasite so fish can not become immune. It is in the tank now so there is no point isolating the infected unless if makes you feel better.
To treat:
Increase temp slowly to 86-88F
Increase aeration
Increase water changes and gravel vacs
Leave temp up for at least one week after last spot is seen
Slowly decrease temp to normal
You can add a little salt if you like. It can help avoid infection in the sites where the ich leaves the body of the fish. Plenty of clean water helps a avoid this also.
http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich2.php

This is the way I did it, and I had MILD Ich. This is the best way, no salt though Valuable Cories.

Back
Top Bottom