Ich Clarification Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kotick

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ich HELP Please

Got some new goldfish who seemed to have ich and it spread to the neon tetras killing three of them and now its spread to all of the fish (goldfish, neon tetra, and guppies).

Its all over the place. On their fins and bodies.

I used a 3 day treatment (full dose) of NOX-ICH. Then did a 1/3 water change. Then the 3 neon tetras died. The Ich came back so we tried it again (half dose). It hasn't gone away so now on on the first dose of another 3 day treatment (half dose) and have decided to try raising the temp up to 86 degrees (its been at 82) to see if that helps.

Should I continue the ich treatment (this is the 3rd treatment in 2 weeks)? Is that the best temp and for how long should the temp be raised? And when should I do the next water change and how much of the water should I change?

The last neon tetra died today. I've given the 2nd dose of the three day ich treatment today (full dose).

Edit: There's no change in the ich.

I would stop the medical treatment. I would raise the temp to 86 slowly and hold it there for 10 days and then some. You need to make sure you have a bubbler so there is oxygen being released into the water as raising the temp will remove some. Once you do that you can do 60% water changes every other day while doing gravel vacs at this time. This should clear up your ich in a jiffy assuming it hasn't gotten too bad already...hopefully it hasn't.

How bad is too bad? I've never seen it this bad before. I can't even count the spots I see and its on all of the fish.

Edit: And what happens if it's too bad?

If the fish is completely covered in white then in my experiance you might be too late, but someone might have better advice for a situation that bad.

Well they aren't completely white as I can see spots all over them. The spots aren't very big either. Many are actually smaller than a grain of salt.

I would still do like I said earlier, you might try adding a little salt to the water too but I'm not an expert in that area especially with goldies.

I'm not an expert either. I have some aquarium salt but I never put any in because I don't know where to put it in the tank, how much or what type of container it should be in. I'll be the first to admit that I have no idea what I'm doing. Ok, maybe not that bad but I do need help a lot.

Thanks for the link. I think I want to try out the salt but I need to find a container to put it in so the goldfish can't eat it. I don't have the proper tools to measure salt levels and I don't have an extra tank and I don't have the money for either so I need to figure out how to fix this as is. This is frustrating. :(

Back
Top Bottom