Ich on Female betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nkoyko

Aquarium Advice Freak
1~What type of fish is afflicted?

Female veil tail betta. Last night I began noticing white dots on her forehead. Got home today and now there are white dots on her tail. The white dots are raised. We have had her for about 2 weeks now and she just started showing symptoms last night.
2~What are your tank parameters

3 gallon tank. Everything is 0 pH is 7.2, temp is 74. She does have a filter.

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?

3 gallon tank. 2 weeks. No it has not been cycled but doing pwc everyday to every other day depending on the levels. Last water change was a full one that's why all is at 0 right now.

4~What type of filtration are you using?

Mini sponge filter. I can't recall the name or output.

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?

Just the female betta and she's maybe a 1.5 inches.

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

She had a full water change Monday. Do pwc every day (amount depends on tests).

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?

2 weeks and she was acclimated by floating in the water and adding new tank water every 30-45 minutes.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

Nothing new has been added.

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

She eats blood worms at the moment because I haven't found anything else that she will eat.

This is the best photo I could get of her. It's very noticeable in person.

I think it's ich but maybe not. Can someone give suggestions and advice on how to proceed?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1441830663803.jpg
    1441830663803.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 61
Well, I'll update this with the method I've chosen to cure her ich.
I added aquarium salt and a heater and removed all gravel and plants to make it easier to rid the ich. I have left her a hiding spot. If the salt and 80° doesn't make a difference after a few days then I plan on using a rid ich medication.

I've always seen ich as much more... Noticeable.. Bumps? Those look itsy bitsy tiny.

I see bettas, I say this lightly, "change color" over time as they age. Is it possible that is what is happening?

If you truly believe it's ich, continue to raise your temp to 86. At 86 this will great speed up the life cycle. dose salt: 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons.

Give it a week, if the bumps have become worse, then consider medication.

Caleb

It is definitely ich. She started with 4 on her forehead and then today her tail had 8 and all of her fins have 2 or more bumps.

That picture is horrible. She's so little and moves super fast so it's hard to get a clear picture.

Thank you for your response, Caleb. I'm definitely going to proceed as you have suggested.

Just remember with the heat/salt method, it's going to look worse before it gets better because you are speeding up the life cycle :)

Caleb

Definitely ich and a better picture. She has more bumps today but some of the others have come off. Her tank is up to 86-87°. I'll be doing a water change later today on her to keep her water clean and get rid of what has come off of her.

Attachments

• 1441908200677.jpg
    1441908200677.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 45
Sounds good.when you water change vacuum as much as you can because ich will free float looking for new hosts.

Caleb

She has nothing in the tank but a ceramic pot, a betta leaf, the heater and filter. She had live plants and I didn't want the salt to hurt them so everything that was in her previous tank is being quarantined while she is being treated so the ich is completely removed.

I just plan on doing 100% water changes to get everything out.

Update: The female betta is looking much better. The majority of the ich is off of her. Still keeping up 100% wc and I've cut salt dosage in half because she wasn't eating in the high salt water. She has resumed eating a little in the lowered salt. Going to keep up what I've been doing for at least 2 weeks just make sure all ich is gone.

Back
Top Bottom