ich question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxwolfpackof1xx

Aquarium Advice Addict
can i treat and prevent ich with nautral sea salt i have a big sea salt mill and was wonderinf if it could be of any help to my aquatic pals

Sent from my Vortex using Aquarium

You definitely don't want to use sea salt in a freshwater tank. The aquarium salt that can be used in freshwater tanks is different in it's chemical makeup than sea salt. Besides, salt will not treat ich. It can help in the healing process and help fish cope with the ich while you're treating the tank. If you don't want to use meds you can treat ich with just heat. Slowly raise your temp to 86 degrees and keep it there for several days after you see the last ich spots. Heat hastens the lifecycle of ich and prevents them from reproducing.

OhNeil1969 said:
You definitely don't want to use sea salt in a freshwater tank. The aquarium salt that can be used in freshwater tanks is different in it's chemical makeup than sea salt. Besides, salt will not treat ich. It can help in the healing process and help fish cope with the ich while you're treating the tank. If you don't want to use meds you can treat ich with just heat. Slowly raise your temp to 86 degrees and keep it there for several days after you see the last ich spots. Heat hastens the lifecycle of ich and prevents them from reproducing.

i just beat ich in my tank at the cost of 3 fish the temps been at 83 84 for about 5 days no other fish has any ich shows no sighns no flashin or rubbing etc. how much longer should i keep the heat up as precautionary messure i dont want to turn temp down only to see an explosion of ich

Opinions vary. To be on the safe side you may want to consider going for another week. It really depends on how bad the outbreak was to begin with. The last time I treated ich I kept the temp up for another 4 days. I haven't seen any signs of the problem since and that was over a month ago.

it wasn't to bad but 3 fish died not sure if it was a combo of stress and ich or pure ich my other fish are clean and were nevrr touched by it

Heres some things that I think help to prevent ich: Make sure your fish that you are buying are healthy and active (no signs of disease in holder tank or fish), QT, Avoid any fluctuations (temperature, pH, or ammonia levels as these are all very stressful to fish and can result in an outbreak of ich.), Do not overstock your tank, and Do weekly water changes.

tyspot1000 said:
Heres some thing that I think help to prevent ich: Make sure your fish that you are buying are healthy and active (no signs of disease in holder tank or fish), QT, Avoid any fluctuations (temperature, pH, or ammonia levels as these are all very stressful to fish and can result in an outbreak of ich.), Do not overstock your tank, and Do weekly water changes.

tank not overstocked temp allways +-2 degree of tank when introduceing allways float then place in spare tank water i allways make sure at lfs to inspect the fish for ich fin rot etc. the only thing i dont have is a QT tank

Back
Top Bottom