Ich treatment?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ppo8820

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I am on day two of treating my ten gallon for ich. I've got the temp up to 30 which I read translates to 86 degrees. I've got 2nd dose of ich guard, salt (2tbs), and an airstone for more agitation. The two juvie platys look like the spots have mostly fallen off. The angel and endless don't have it and are active and eating. The platys hide now but come out to eat. Did 50%wc this am before adding second dose. Am I doing everything right? I want no deaths as I love these juvenile fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You are using salt, Ich meds and heat?

I honestly don't know if that is a problem but I would be a little concerned about using all 3 methods to treat Ich at the same time. Hopefully someone else with more fish medicine experience will come along.

Well I wanted to get it hard from the start of treatment. I don't plan on using the meds after tomorrow but sticking with heat and salt for 2 weeks.

Well I wanted to get it hard from the start of treatment. I don't plan on using the meds after tomorrow but sticking with heat and salt for 2 weeks.

To use all three together IMO is not good. Especially with your desire to stop the meds so soon. This is where strains become more resistant to meds and it becomes harder to treat in the future. Have you removed the carbon from your filter ?

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you.

Heat is all you need. Adding the other treatments is just unnecessary and creating unneeded stress on the fish.

It's not that aggressive of a "sickness" to warrant such an aggressive treatment plan.

Okay I'm just on 86 degrees and a prayer. Daily water changes and a bit of salt.

Daily water changes are not likely to be helpful for ich due to the temperature fluctuations you can cause. Very little ich is in the water. It is mostly on the fish and the substrate and other surfaces.

Keeping the temp high is the key.

Well one of the platys died today. He seemed fine this am but died sadly. It was very young but the other one is doing fine. I'm added tetra safe start since my bacteria is likely dead. Now I'm just going to leave it alone. I've had it honestly, this is a ton of work and stressing me out.

It's a month old tank and I started with ich meds before I found out about the heat thing.

In my experience ich meds don't kill the bacteria. However, I've never medicated such a young tank. It certainly can't hurt to use the TSS.

It did make the water cloudy but I read that's normal. My readings show no ammonia, no nitrite, very little nitrate.

Back
Top Bottom