Ich! what do you use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
S

Susanne

Just curious what people do for ich?

I treated my tank last week by increasing the temp over a few days, so it's up to 80. I also added the recommended aquarium salt. Well, the spots dissapeared within a couple days from the redeye tetra. Now, I noticed that there are spots on the other fish, guppies and platies. Do I do the same water change, and add salt again? I didn't think Ich could survive in temps over 78 degrees. Any ideas? I have 7 fry, so I don't want to use any medication that could harm them until I get them moved to their own tank which should be ready for next week.
Thanks!
Susanne

I am not sure on the water specs since I am very new to this and my next big purchase is the water tester.

My one tank with Ich is a 20 gallon. It currently has Platy's, Red Eye Tetra and Harlequins. Also we have a dwarf frog and a Golden Mystery Snail. I had Guppies in there too, but I just put those in my new 20 gallon tank so all it has is guppies and the fry now.

Forgive my ignorance, as I'm just getting into the hobby and I have a lot to learn. I appreciate all the advice I get and I learn something new every day!

quantity of fish

oops... i didn't mention quantity...
5 Harlequins
4 Red Eye Tetra
4 Platy's

is this a newly setup tank? if so, your ammonia levels or nitrite levels may be very high, and that could trigger an ich outbreak--would strongly suggest a substantial water change, treatment, and a water chemistry set --it is most useful when cycling the tank--very helpful in avoiding those new tank deaths....first thing you should do is read up on water chemistry in an aquarium, it will make cycling a breeze!

Back
Top Bottom