Ich-X and Melafix?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

locked word

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi again,

We have two fish in the hospital - one neon, and one glo-light (*such* a beautiful fish!). Our glo-light is new, and I noticed he has a few indications of problem - a ding in his tail (could be an agressive other fish since glo-lights are so docile), and a few white patch/spots. It doesn't look like full blown ich, but I am wary it might become ich. It might also be tail rot - it kind of looks like it too. Anyway, the neon that I'm treating has fin rot so he's being treated with melafix. Here are my questions:

1) Should I hold off, monitor, and treat for ich only if it becomes very obvious?

2) Can I mix melafix and Ich-X if it becomes necessary?

The temp in the hospital is 80, and I have added some salt for recovery. I realize I might lose the neon if the glo-light ends up with ich - but I would rather save the fish in my show tank which right now is holding about fifteen fish.

Any advice would be much appreciated - I hope you all have a great Saturday .................

Best, J.

If the spots look like grains of salt then ich is likely. If you discover that you have ich in the tank, don't use an ich medication. Turning the heat up to 87 and leaving it there for 2 weeks after the last spot is gone will cure any ich.

If the spots are patchy and whitish, ich is not the problem. It then sounds like a fungus. Treat with an antifungal medication.

Back
Top Bottom