Inhabitants of new tank seem very stressed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A2Pomo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Total fish newbie here...I started my first tank a few months ago with three small cherry barbs (one male and two females) and on the recommendation of a local fish store. This fish store is very reputable in my community, but I have also received conflicting information based on which employee I am speaking with. Over the past week, I have upgraded to a 14.5 gallon Fluval aquarium from a 2.6 gallon Spec aquarium.

I have the filter and light operating that came with the Fluval set-up and an appropriate heater for the new size. I also have introduced two new water plants: Java Fern and Pennyworth.

Current inhabitants:

1&2 - Male and female cherry barb that I have for a few months (lost the other original female jumping out of the small tank a few weeks ago).

3 - New male cherry barb (I now know that I made a mistake from a gender balance standpoint getting another male; an example of strange advice from the fish store. But I don't want to introduce any new fish until I get this current tank settled in.)

4. - Two small cory catfish (acquired at the same time as the new male cherry barb).

5. A very tiny snail (apparently, an accidental "gift with purchase" of the java fern).

I have repeatedly been told by the fish store that my water is in good shape, though they didn't give me specific numbers. I bought a home test kit and it shows my PH as being on the low end of normal, my GH and KH as low, and my NO2, NO3, and CL2 as all being at 0. These are the color coded type strips, so I can't give exact numbers. My tank is currently at approximately 71 degrees, which is where the thermostat consistently was in my old tank, as well.

Basically, my fish all seem to be acting very erratically over the past day. The two mature barbs are darting all over the tank together (often gasping at the surface). They just seem unable to settle down or swim gracefully the way they did early on.

The new male is in complete hiding. I occasionally see him poke his head out from under the java fern, so I know he is in there and alive, but he seems very anti-social and I'm not sure he's eating.

I think the cory catfish seem okay. Intermittent darting to surface, but then also long periods of rest on the substrate (which I've read is all normal for them).

I feel so badly, like I've really screwed up in making this changeover to a new tank. :( I keep following the advice of the people I am talking to at the fish store, but am concerned. Is there anything that I can do to help them to relax and acclimate more quickly? I would so appreciate any input. Thank you.

A couple of things could be going on, probably a bit of both.

You arent cycled. What do you know about the nitrogen cycle? This is the natural processes that changes harmful fish waste (ammonia) into less harmful fish waste (nitrate). Your tests show zero nitrite and nitrate and this indicates you have none of the bacteria living in your tank that processes out ammonia. Add to that, your test strips dont test for ammonia so you have no idea if you have an issue or not.

Barbs are social fish, and are happier when kept in decent sized groups of their own kind. In low numbers they will be stressed and act out of character. 6 fish seems to be the magic number where most social fish start to calm down and act more naturally. Thats not to say you should go out and buy more fish because of the not being cycled thing. Adding more fish will make that side of things worse.

For now a couple of things to do.

- 50% water change, and do this every day until you can test for ammonia. This will ensure your water condition doesnt deteriorate to harmful levels without you knowing about it.

- Get a test for ammonia. API freshwater master test kit is a good one to go for. It covers what you need (pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate), is accurate enough for what you need it to do (cycle a tank), and as you get 100s of tests from a test kit its more cost effective long run than strips. You could get some ammonia test strips to use alongside the strips you already have, but strips are known for less accuracy than liquid tests, and are quite pricey per test. If you can, its better to get a liquid test kit.

When you are able to test for ammonia we can look at getting your tank cycled and eventually add some more fish to make them happier.

Last edited:
A couple of things could be going on, probably a bit of both.

You arent cycled. What do you know about the nitrogen cycle? This is the natural processes that changes harmful fish waste (ammonia) into less harmful fish waste (nitrate). Your tests show zero nitrite and nitrate and this indicates you have none of the bacteria living in your tank that processes out ammonia. Add to that, your test strips dont test for ammonia so you have no idea if you have an issue or not.

Barbs are social fish, and are happier when kept in decent sized groups of their own kind. In low numbers they will be stressed and act out of character. 6 fish seems to be the magic number where most social fish start to calm down and act more naturally. Thats not to say you should go out and buy more fish because of the not being cycled thing. Adding more fish will make that side of things worse.

For now a couple of things to do.

- 50% water change, and do this every day until you can test for ammonia. This will ensure your water condition doesnt deteriorate to harmful levels without you knowing about it.

- Get a test for ammonia. API freshwater master test kit is a good one to go for. It covers what you need (pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate), is accurate enough for what you need it to do (cycle a tank), and as you get 100s of tests from a test kit its more cost effective long run than strips. You could get some ammonia test strips to use alongside the strips you already have, but strips are known for less accuracy than liquid tests, and are quite pricey per test. If you can, its better to get a liquid test kit.

When you are able to test for ammonia we can look at getting your tank cycled and eventually add some more fish to make them happier.
Thanks so much, Aiken. I really appreciate you taking the time. I am going to go out and purchase the API kit today when the fish shop opens. In the meantime, I installed an airstone late last night and the fish perked up so quickly. My little fella has even come out of hiding and is already eating again! I know I'm not out of the woods yet, and will test/do appropriate water changes until things are regulated. And I will plan to introduce several more female barbs once the conditions have stabilized.

Sidenote: Are you a Derby County fan? I know this isn't a forum for footie discussion, but I can't help myself. We are a Charlton AFC family, and the struggle is real. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom