Injured fish - should I euthanise?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

potatohead

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I’ve had an emotional day with my blue gourami. He got himself stuck in an ornament (Ive had him for 6 months with this ornament in the whole time and never thought he could get stuck, anyway...) and I had a terrible time getting him out.
The ornament is rock material so I couldn’t break it so it turned into a push/pull situation and now he is out but very stressed.

He is bruised and there’s a big dent in the top of his head where he was stuck plus a lot of scales came off in the struggle.

I put in salt and fungal treatment and left the lights off but he’s just lying on the bottom of the tank, laboured breathing and moving every so often but it’s like his tail won’t work and just moves with fins.

So should I euthanise him or has something like this happened to anyone before? Can he get better? I feel so guilty and sad for him.

Thank you xIMG_0162.jpg

A healthy fish does not often get stuck.
Dwarf gouramis are not a very healthy fish as they come and go.
Most end up with dwarf gourami iridovirus.
IMO there is a good possibility your fish had an issue before he got stuck or more likely why he got stuck.
If he is not better[much] in a day or two I would euthanise before he becomes a liability to the tank by becoming infected with something more contagious then DGI .

sadly im thinking it will probably die from the trama and stress it went through. it is not looking good at all and it laying on the bottom on its side like that is really not a good sign. also just so you know that is not a blue gourami. that is a dwarf neon gourami.

Thanks everyone. It’s so sad and I hate doing it. I went to get him out this morning to put him in the frozen water I’d got ready but he really didn’t want to be caught and started swimming away.
So I’m going to give him the rest of the day and see if he improves but if not I’ll put him out of his misery.

He honestly didn’t look diseased before he got stuck and was really thrashing around trying to get out.

Thanks for your replies x

Ok he’s actually getting better. He’s off the floor and properly swimming around - however now all the tetras are bullying him and nipping at his fins. What can I do to separate them? Should I go buy a little hospital tank tomorrow?

Yes you should always have a quarantine tank for times like these and new fish before introducing them into your main tank.

Ok I’ve bought a hatchery so he’s living in there now and actually looks like he’s doing ok - apart from the bruises and ragged fins.
He’s swimming properly and eating well so will his wounds heal do you think? How long should I keep him in isolation for?

I'd keep him in there for about a month. Give him time to heal. Keep the water pristine.

Just a quick update - I kept him in the hatchery and he’s done so well. He’s back in the tank with everyone and all that’s left of his bruises is a little black spot near the back.

Thanks for all your advice, I really thought he was a goner but his scales and fins are growing back and he’s a proper fighter!IMG_7569.jpg

Back
Top Bottom