Is this normal? Aquatic frog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blueberries

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello! This morning i noticed white spots on my frog. Is this normal? He didn’t have them before... I am treating the entire tank with aquarium salt just Incase. He is still super social (I feed them with tweezers) and has a good appetite. I recently added two shrimp (on Friday) one cherry and a blue shrimp (I can’t find the blue one - I think he may be hiding) .i am worried that maybe the shrimp brought fungus with them. From googling it doesn’t look like other frogs with fungus - I am not 100% sure tho. Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• A88FDC7B-4237-4419-8059-44EBF847C2C0.jpg
    A88FDC7B-4237-4419-8059-44EBF847C2C0.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 253
  • 4642E3FE-3D18-46AE-B79C-CA7373ECF7BD.jpg
    4642E3FE-3D18-46AE-B79C-CA7373ECF7BD.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 53
The white spots on the legs look to just be normal bumps on his skin. but the white worm like things hanging on the back almost look like anchor worms. I would probably treat with praziquantel incase it is a parasite. Honestly tough telling exactly what is going on, but I think the anti-worm meds are a good idea.

I purchased the dewormer- it does not say it’s safe for frogs. I also tried googling anchor worms on African drawn frogs and didn’t find anything :/. It does look like that could be it. Would the aquarium salt be able to do anything? And if I am able should I pull the white things off with tweezers? Could it also be fungus? @Dallascowboys16 thank you for taking the time in helping me and the little frog !

Update: whatever it is the aquarium salt is working! Most of the white stuff is gone. Is the de-worker safe to use on frogs?

I am not as familiar with these little guys treatment with these medications. They are very small and might need a very tiny dose. I have used Fenbendazole with dwarf shrimp, and at a very small dosage it has killed the parasites and left the shrimp alive, and although these creatures are not the same, they are both delicate.

The praziquantel is used routinely in treating fish...

The praziquantel should be safe for frogs. Honestly very safe as far as meds go. It is the same active ingredient that is used to deworm domestic animals and even humans! :lol: Like said above though, if the salt is working don't put the meds in the tank. Usually I avoid putting chemicals in the tank water if I can help it! :) Glad to hear your little frog is getting better

Back
Top Bottom