Jack Dempsey cannot right himself

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Neversadie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had my Jack Dempsey for almost six years. I have recently purchased a house. I tried to make the move as easy as possible. I placed him in a three gallon fish bag and drained 75% of the water from the tank. I then moved him and the tank to the new house. After filling the tank and treating it(Stress coat and Ammo lock) I let him in. Everything was fine for about two days and then problems started. I believe he has a air bladder infection/disorder. He cannot right himself in the tank, just lays there on his side. Everytime he tries to swim, his ass end floats up and then he just comes to rest on the bottom on his side. He will not eat, and has been like this for 3 days. This fish is very important to me. Help?

sounds like swim bladder dysfunction-is he able to maneuver well enough to eat? are there other fish in the tank? did a quick search on google and it appears as though the swim bladder can be damaged when jostled excessively in transit or when placed in water without proper acclimation among other things....some fish develop it from a bacterial infection, which apparently is fairly contagious--don't think there is a fix for those that have traumatic injuries...if he appears ok, and you don't have any luck with antibiotics, you still may have to consider putting him down if he can't seem to navigate well enough to eat or otherwise maintain a quality of life.... best luck, let us know how he does--

sorry i missed that he wasn't eating...that doesn't sound like a good prognosis, but you may try the antibiotics and see if you can save him...

Back
Top Bottom