Kois missing scales

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

logansmomma1228

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I went to visit my fish in the 55gal that I used to take care of the other day and I am very upset. My friend that has them is not taking care of them or the tank at all. He never does PWCs or checks the parameters. He hardly even feeds the poor things. They are pretty big though, about 7 and 8 inches! The pleco is about 6 inches now as well. I told him some things he needs to do to take care of them but I doubt he will. Unfortunately I can't take my fish back because I don't have a big enough tank.

Anyways, I noticed that both the kois are missing scales on multiple spots on their bodies. I was wondering if this is due to some bacterial infection causing them to itch themselves on rocks and whatnot, or if it is caused from stress due to an unhealthy tank maybe? My friend said he was just going to go ahead and put some QuickCure in the tank but I told him not to because he doesn't even know what is wrong with them.

I feel bad for my fish :( Even if I could take them he would end up getting something else and that would be doomed too. I wish there was some citizen's arrest or some law that could keep people like that from tormenting those poor fish.

So does anyone know what could be wrong with the kois? I would like to try and do something to help take care of them still.

Some types of koi are naturally missing scales. Google mirror carp.

Sorry to hear about the fish. Unfortunately, many fish, pets in general, aren't properly cared for.

Also, a 55 gal is way too small for kois. They are really fast swimmers and the missing scales may well be injuries from bumping into things. At 7-8", you really should be getting them into a pond. <And not a small one either, you need at least 300gal+ for the kois .... they are going to get to be 3-4 foot long!>

Another reason for the missing scales could be the pleco. It's not unheard of for a common pleco to latch itself onto a koi, goldfish or other fish.

Sorry to hear your friend isn't taking care of them. Maybe slap him upside the head with something. People like that bug the heck out of me.

lmao i would if i could! i really would like to sometimes lol. The worst part is that I explained to him how to do stuff and he just ignored me.

Back
Top Bottom